CORVALLIS, Ore. – Oregon State University is honoring the service of nearly two dozen leading faculty and staff members with some of its most prestigious annual awards as part of University Day, the annual kick-off of the new school year.
The awards were formally presented on Sept. 20 at a University Day-eve banquet. Honorees will be recognized once again, however, during a 10:30 a.m. ceremony today featuring a keynote address from OSU President Ed Ray. The ceremony takes place at the LaSells Stewart Center in the heart of campus.
“The faculty and staff recognized this year exemplify the best of this university and their accomplishments are among the many reasons why OSU continues to grow in impact and prestige in Oregon and beyond,” said Ray. “I’m grateful for their extraordinary efforts to serve our students and the citizens of Oregon.”
This year’s award recipients are:
- Beaver Champion Award: Former Provost and Executive Vice President Roy Arnold and Head Baseball Coach Pat Casey;
- Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award: Fred Menino, professor in the Department of Animal Sciences;
- Excellence in Graduate Mentoring Award: Peter Bottomley, professor in the Department of Microbiology;
- Herbert F. Frolander Graduate Teaching Assistant Award: Grace Golden, doctoral candidate in the department of Nutrition and Exercise Sciences;
- International Service Award: Laura Rice, associate professor in the Department of English;
- D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award: Donna Champeau, associate professor in the Department of Public Health;
- Karel J. H. Murphy Professional Faculty Leadership and Service Award: Kim McAlexander, head adviser in Academic Advising and Student Services in the College of Health and Human Sciences;
- OSU Academic Advising Award: Kerry Kincanon, head adviser in the University Exploratory Studies Program, and Janet Nishihara, associate professor in the Educational Opportunities Program;
- OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award: Robert A. Holman, professor in the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences;
- OSU Award for Service to Persons with Disabilities: Kevin Collins, elevator technician with Facilities Services;
- OSU Exemplary Employee Award: Catherine McBride, program assistant in the Watershed Stewardship Education Program of Extension Sea Grant, and Joe Luker Sr., retail sales manager at University Housing and Dining Services;
- OSU Extended Education Faculty Achievement Award: Sharon Johnson, faculty member in Extension Family and Community Development for Jackson and Josephine counties, and Human Development and Family Sciences;
- OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award: Elizabeth Sulzman, assistant professor in the Department of Crop and Soil Science;
- OSU Professional Faculty Excellence Award: Jeff Hale, director of college development in the College of Liberal Arts;
- Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award: Steven R. James, senior research assistant at the Central Oregon Agricultural Research Center;
- Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award: Lizbeth Gray, an associate professor in the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences;
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award: Leonard Friedman, associate p rofessor in the Department of Public Health, and Janine Trempy, professor in the Department of Microbiology;
- Student Learning and Success Teamwork Award: EECS Tekbots Team – Terri Fiez, Roger Traylor, Don Heer, Gale Sumida, and Tom Thomson;
- University Professional Development Award: Mark Dinsmore, multimedia programmer with Technology Across the Curriculum.
For information, go to http://oregonstate.edu/events/universityday.