CORVALLIS - The Extension 4-H Youth Development Program at Oregon State University has awarded more than $6,000 in scholarships to nine Oregon 4-H members.
The Oregon 4-H scholarship program annually recognizes several members, said Mary Arnold, OSU Extension Service 4-H Youth specialist. Scholarship winners are selected based on their achievements in 4-H activities, contributions to the community and academic record.
The scholarships are given in recognition of accomplishments as a 4-H member and to provide incentive for further education, Arnold added. The donors who support this program see 4-H scholarships for higher education as an important investment in the future of our families and communities, she said.
"The state 4-H program is very grateful for these scholarships and for the individuals, businesses and organizations that give to the state scholarship program," Arnold said.
For more information about the 4-H scholarship program, contact Arnold at 541-737-1315 or Aaron Escobar of the Oregon 4-H Foundation at 541-737-9330. The scholarship recipients are:
- Cloverdale: Jamie Sutherlin received a $500 Oregon 4-H Foundation Memorial Scholarship, given annually by the 4-H Foundation.
- Enterprise: Celeste Hillock received a $1,000 Kate Thiess Memorial 4-H Scholarship, established by the Kate Thiess endowment fund at OSU.
- Gresham: Kim Thomas received a $250 Cenex Harvest States 4-H Scholarship, established by the CENEX Harvest States Foundation.
- Junction City: Chauncey Freeman received a $500 Ted and Betty Dietz Memorial 4-H Scholarship, established by family and friends of Ted and Betty Dietz.
- Medford: Ashley Marcu received a $1,000 Klein Family Scholarship, established by Bonne Klein Youngberg, Sally Klein Heinz and Glenn Klein.
- Sandy: Amber TenEyck received a $1,000 Martha McGregor 4-H Scholarship, established by a gift from Cecil and Martha MacGregor; Bibiana Gomes also received a $1,000 Martha McGregor 4-H Scholarship; and Brittany Sintek received a $400 O. M. Plummer 4-H Scholarship, established by O.M. Plummer. The award is given to a 4-H member who participated in a wide range of 4-H activities with emphasis in 4-H livestock projects.
- Tillamook: Katherine Gregg received a $500 Duane P. Johnson 4-H Scholarship, established by Duane and Mary Johnson, colleagues and family friends.