CORVALLIS - Oregon State University will celebrate Homecoming Weekend Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, highlighted by a football game between the Beavers and the Arizona Wildcats. The game is tentatively scheduled to begin at 1 p.m., but that could change if it is televised.
Homecoming activities actually begin earlier, with living group decorations, tug-of-war preliminaries and the annual Homecoming bonfire. Sponsored by the Student Alumni Association, the popular bonfire begins at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 30, south of Reser Stadium. It is free and open to the public.
Other events include a series of Classes without Quizzes, reunions, 75th anniversary celebrations of the Memorial Union and Weatherford Hall, a soccer game, football-related activities, and the return to campus of three Alumni Fellows.
This year's fellows are Donald Pettit, an astronaut who was on the International Space Station this year; Mike Rich, who wrote "Finding Forrester" and "The Rookie," and David Wong, co-inventor of the popular drug, Prozac.
More information on Homecoming is available at: http://alumni.oregonstate.edu/homecoming/.
The schedule includes:
Monday, Oct. 27
- Homecoming decorating begins.
Wednesday, Oct. 29
- Tug-of-War preliminaries, 7 p.m., Reser Stadium.
Thursday, Oct. 30
- Judging of living group decorations, 4 p.m.
- Homecoming bonfire, south of Reser Stadium, 8 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 31
- Classes Without Quizzes program, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Class of 1963's 40th reunion.
- Class of 1958's 45th reunion.
- Memorial Union 75th anniversary.
- "Football 101," 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Valley Football Center.
- Men's soccer, OSU vs. California, 1 p.m., Lorenz Field.
- Alumni Fellows ceremony and reception, 3:30 p.m., LaSells Stewart Center.
Saturday, Nov. 1
- Reunion brunch for classes of 1963 and 1958, 8 to 9:30 a.m.
- Beaver Nation tailgater, beginning four hours before kickoff, CH2M HILL Alumni Center.
- Fan Fair and Academic Fair, 26th Street, before the game.
- Beaver Walk, down Ralph Miller Drive.
- Yell Like Hell, at the Beaver Walk, approximately two hours and 15 minutes before the game.
- Football game, OSU vs. Arizona, tentatively scheduled for 1 p.m. (may change depending on television.
- Distinguished Professor awards, halftime of football game.
- Tug-of-War finals and trophy presentation, halftime.