CORVALLIS - Oregon State University is launching a national search for a new athletic director to succeed Mitch Barnhart, who resigned earlier this week to take a similar post at the University of Kentucky.
Larry Roper, vice provost for Student Affairs at OSU, will direct a nine-member screening committee to identify top candidates. The university also is considering the services of a search firm to assist with the process, which OSU officials say will be expedited, yet thorough.
The screening committee will meet for the first time next week to discuss details of the desired characteristics and experiences of an athletic director, as well as the search process and timetable.
Earlier this week, OSU President Paul Risser appointed Bob DeCarolis as interim athletic director. DeCarolis has been senior associate athletic director since 1998. "Mitch Barnhart did a terrific job while he was here, and I am confident that we will identify and hire a candidate who will continue that success," Risser said. "This is one of the premier athletic director jobs in the country."
Members of the screening committee include:
- Larry Roper, vice provost for Student Affairs (chair);
- Tanya Chaplin, head coach for women's gymnastics;
- Mike Corwin, associate athletic director;
- Larry Giustina, Giustina Land and Timber, and member of the OSU Board of Advisors;
- Becky Johnson, associate dean and professor of forestry;
- Linda Johnson, academic adviser in the College of Health and Human Sciences;
- Sue Poorman, OSU Foundation trustee;
- Richard Siegler, a junior majoring in sociology and member of the OSU football team;
- Ken Williamson, professor and head of the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering.