CORVALLIS - The College of Veterinary Medicine at Oregon State University will hold commencement ceremonies for the 34 members of its 2001 graduating class on Sunday, May 27.
The new doctors of veterinary medicine will participate in the ceremony at 1:30 p.m. in the LaSells Stewart Center on the OSU campus. The event is free and open to the public. Most other OSU students will be part of the university's main commencement ceremony in June.
Speakers at the ceremony will include OSU President Paul Risser; Kelvin Koong, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine; Phyllis Wustenberg of the Oregon State Board of Higher Education; and Kathryn Moriarty, a student of the 2001 class.
A commencement address will be presented by Dr. Jerry Boggs, past president of the Oregon Veterinary Medical Association, and the veterinarian's oath will be administered by Dr. Doug Corey, current president of the OVMA.
The demand for new veterinary doctors remains high and most students will move immediately into professional practices unless they plan to continue their education, officials say.
The new doctors of veterinary medicine include:
- BEND Jilinda Marie Lewis-Simpson, Mark Gordon Chappell and Jerud Hugo Rhen.
- BURNS Ellis Gilbert Farstvedt
- CAVE JUNCTION Rachel N. Poet
- CORVALLIS Siobhan Mary Baggot and Kevin L. Wilson
- DUNDEE Daniel James Matthiesen
- HERMISTON Christina M. Clements
- LEBANON Sarah June Vielbig
- MCMINNVILLE Heather Mackie Baumholtz
- NORTH PLAINS Heather J. Garrett
- PORTLAND Deborah R. Feltz
- SALEM Shawnette Faye Anderson, Joseph S. Roberts, and Jennifer Elise Taylor
- SHERWOOD Steven Michael Haley
- HILO Claire J. Camburn
- COEUR D'ALENE Melissa Shank Dolan
- RICHMOND Lance Christian Alexander
- WINNEMUCCA Kathryn Adeline Crawford Moriarty
- MONTCLAIR Lucinda Eve Dickinson
- LAYTON Lara Lea Taylor
- SALINA L. Matthew Crane
- TOOLE Laura M. Serreyn