ORVALLIS - A group of 17 students will receive fellowships for summer study at Oregon State University as part of a program funded by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute to improve the teaching of biological principles to OSU and pre-college students.
This is the third year of funding provided by a four-year, $1.8 million grant from the institute, which will allow students to earn $295 a week for 11 weeks while working closely with an OSU faculty member. The students will also meet with each other during their research programs and present findings of their project at the end of the summer.
"OSU has long recognized the unique educational value of an individual research experience," said Kevin Ahern, faculty coordinator of this program in the OSU Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics. "This grant substantially increases the number of students who are able to participate in such intense, full-time research over a period of several months."
Participation in the program was competitive, based on students' academic record, interests, future plans and potential for success.
Two participants from Japan include Sami Murakami, a major in biochemistry and biophysics; and Michinao Hashimoto, a chemistry major. Other participants from Oregon and Washington, and their faculty mentors include:
- ALBANY Patrick Lew, a major in biological engineering working with Brian Bay in OSU's Department of Mechanical Engineering
- BEAVERTON Ying-Show Liu, a major in general science working with Barbara Taylor in OSU's Department of Zoology; and Jay Well, a major in biology working with Terri Lomax in OSU's Department of Botany and Plant Pathology
- ESTACADA Heather Carpenter, a major in zoology, botany and plant pathology, working with Mark Patterson in the OSU Department of Botany and Plant Pathology
- GRANTS PASS Timothy Peterson, a major in biochemistry and biophysics, working with the OSU Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology
- GRESHAM Stephen Full, a biochemistry-biophysics major working with Jeffrey Greenwood in the OSU Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics; and Anna Lissa Samson, a major in microbiology working with Dan Rockey in OSU's Department of Microbiology
- KEIZER Jonathan Reed, a major in botany and plant pathology, working with Valerian Dolja in the OSU's Department of Botany and Plant Pathology
- MILWAUKIE Thomas Young, a major in environmental science and zoology working with Mark Hixon in OSU's Department of Zoology
- MONMOUTH Anna Hsu, a major in biochemistry and biophysics working with John Hays in OSU's Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology
- SALEM Annie Staten, a major in biochemistry and biophysics working with Gary Merrill in OSU's Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
- SISTERS Amber Leis, a major in microbiology working with Dennis Hruby in OSU's Department of Microbiology
- SPRINGFIELD Andrea Hill, a major in animal science working with Fred Stormshak in OSU's Department of Animal Science
- TUALATIN Monika Arora, a biological engineering major working with Tory Hagen in OSU's Linus Pauling Institute
- MEAD Neil Geisler, a major in biological engineering working with Skip Rochefort in OSU's Department of Chemical Engineering