CORVALLIS - Jane Lubchenco, a world-renowned environmental scientist and the Wayne & Gladys Valley Professor of Marine Biology at Oregon State University, will be the keynote speaker at a forum on sustainability that will highlight the university's celebration of Earth Week.
Lubchenco will speak on biodiversity and bioresource management at the OSU Earth Week Sustainability Forum, which will begin at 7 p.m., Thursday, April 19, in the CH2M-HILL Alumni Center ballroom. A panel of presenters will discuss Oregon's goals for sustainability and answer questions from the audience. The forum is free and open to the public.
The sustainability forum is just one of several events that will highlight Earth Week at OSU, April 16-20. Most of the events will be held in the Memorial Union quad from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. They include a tree giveaway, alternative transportation display, the university's annual trash audit, and a three-ring binder giveaway.
"Earth Week is a notable opportunity for groups to collaborate and support a coordinated approach to making change," said Justin Fleming, the student recycling coordinator at OSU. "When campus groups unite a sustainable OSU will be built."
Fleming said he hopes the events of Earth Week will raise awareness for sustainability.
This year's events include:
- Monday, April 16 - Alternative transportation display featuring hybrid vehicles and information on public transportation. Tree giveaway.
- Tuesday, April 17 - A collection display illustrating wood waste reclamation. A brown bag presentation on voluntary simplicity. Various educational booths.
- Wednesday, April 18 - University trash audit. Volunteers from OSU's Army ROTC program will help to sort through trash to determine the university's recycling rate.
- Thursday, April 19 - OSU Earth Week Sustainability Forum featuring Lubchenco and a panel of presenters discussing Oregon's goals for sustainability.
- Friday, April 20 -Field trip to Coffin Butte Landfill and electricity generation site.
For more information about Earth Week events, contact Fleming at (541) 737-7349 or email@example.com.