CORVALLIS - Oregon State University will launch the 2000-2001 academic year Monday, Sept. 18, at its annual University Day event held at the LaSells Stewart Center.
OSU will honor its top faculty and staff during the ceremony, with awards presented for teaching, service, and achievement. Displays open at 9 a.m. and the awards program will begin at 10 a.m. in the Austin Auditorium. A reception for award recipients will be held at the CH2M HILL Alumni Center following the program.
The ceremony will include speeches by OSU President Paul Risser, Dee Safley, president of the OSU Office Personnel Association; and Gordon Matzke, president of the Faculty Senate. Henry Sayre, president-elect of the Faculty Senate will provide opening and closing remarks and Michael Beachley will moderate the event.
Award recipients include:
- Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award - TJ White, senior faculty research assistant in Botany and Plant Pathology.
- Herbert F. Frolander Graduate Teaching Assistant Award - Michael LeMaster, graduate student in the Department of Zoology.
- OSU Award for Service to Persons with Disabilities - Larry Kennedy, manager for building services in the Facilities Services Department.
- OSU Exemplary Employee Award - Joan Bird, office manager in the Sherman County Extension Office.
- OSU Extended Education Faculty Achievement Award - Patricia Frishkoff, director of the Austin Family Business Program; and Ronald L. Hathaway, professor of animal sciences and Extension agricultural agent in Klamath County.
- International Service Award - Marlan Carlson, chair of the Department of Music; and Jae W. Park, professor in the OSU Seafood Lab in Astoria.
- Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award - James D. Ingle, Jr., professor of chemistry.
- OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award - Janine E. Trempy, associate professor of microbiology.
- D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award - Margaret (Maggie) Niess, director of the Science and Mathematics Teacher Preparation program.
- OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award - Mary L. Powelson, professor of botany and plant pathology.
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award - Margaret M. Burnett, associate professor of computer science.