CORVALLIS - Oregon State University's Art About Agriculture Tour 2000 will open with an artists' reception and awards ceremony from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 23, in the Giustina Gallery in OSU's LaSells Stewart Center.
More than $4,000 in prizes will be awarded in a ceremony that begins at 7:30 p.m. The exhibit's agricultural/natural resources theme encompasses the science and art of farming, producing and selling crops, raising livestock, and managing fisheries and wildlife. Jurors for the competition were Tom Allen, Jay Clemens and Bonnie Hall.
Art in the Tour 2000 exhibit is for sale, except for artworks purchased for the Art About Agriculture permanent collection from artists' awards. Artists' awards for Art About Agriculture Tour 2000 were made possible by donations to the E.R. Jackman Foundation and the OSU Foundation.
Award recipients for Art About Agriculture Tour 2000:
- ALBANY: Diane Widler Wenzel, Reece Lamb and Paul Lamb Award for "Mother Thinning Woodlot," acrylic on canvas.
- BEAVERTON: Bruce Ulrich, University Honda Award for "Japanese Garden: Fall," watercolor.
- CORVALLIS: Susan Johnson, Art About Agriculture Poster 2000-2001 Award for "From 'Flower' to Food," oil bar drawing; Marie Rhynard, Reece Lamb and Paul Lamb Award for "Sheepsheds at High Noon," watercolor; Jeff Goldner, Tom Allen Juror's Award for "Irrigation," silver gelatin print.
- EUGENE: Mary Goodson, Bonnie Hall Juror's Award for "Worn and Wonderful," painted, stitched fabric.
- KLAMATH FALLS: Janet Sullivan, Roy D. Nielsen Memorial Award for "Primary Cut," pastel.
- OAK GROVE: Jonnel Covault, Dean and Director Award, College of Agricultural Sciences and Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station for "Powers that Be," linoleum blockprint.
- PHILOMATH: Debby Sundbaum-Sommers, Gene and Cande Buccola, Pahlisch Homes Award for "Early Spring Hill," monoprint.
- PORTLAND: Patty Bentley, Extension Director's Award for "Foxes," fabric quilt; Howard Bruner, Kaseberg Family Award for "AP Ranch," oil on wood; Mark Clarke: Strome Agricultural Art Memorial Award for "Abandoned Barn," oil on canvas; Doreen Lindstedt, Jay Clemens Juror's Award for "Night Travellers," watercolor and gouache; Hickory Mertsching, Oregon State University President's Award for "Iron Ox," bronze.
- GIG HARBOR, WASH.: Donna B. Trent of Gig Harbor, Wash., Capitol Press Award for "Ebby's Prairie Farm Land, Whidbey Island," oil.
Artists who will exhibit their work in the Tour 2000:
- ALBANY: Eric Ellis, Nancy McMorris, Lynn Powers, Diane Widler Wenzel.
- BEAVERTON: Linda Rothchild-Ollis, Bruce Ulrich.
- CORVALLIS: Rich Bergeman, Howard Bruner, Faye Cummins, Jeff Goldner, Nancy Hagood, Kathryn Honey, Susan Johnson, Marjorie Kinch, Charles Leach, Douglas F. Markle, Marie Rhynard, Denise Ross, Nelson Sandgren, Marge Stephan.
- EUGENE: Mark Clarke, Tallmadge Doyle, Mary Goodson, Karen Hendricks, Susie Morrill, Marilyn Robert, Howard Snapp, Maurice Van, Justin C. Williams.
- HOOD RIVER: Peter Marbach, Julia Zweerts-Brownfoot.
- JORDAN VALLEY: Pamela White.
- KLAMATH FALLS: Suzanne Cogley, Janet Sullivan.
- MCMINNVILLE: Merren Frichtl.
- OAK GROVE: Jonnel Covault.
- PHILOMATH: Debby Sundbaum-Sommers.
- PORTLAND: Patty Bentley, Doreen Lindstedt, Hickory Mertsching, Phyllis Trowbridge, Elise Wagner, Walter Weber.
- ROSEBURG: Laura Brown
- SALEM: Kirk Seyfert, Genie Stewart.
- GIG HARBOR, WASH.: Donna B. Trent; Hoquiam: Kathleen Graddy
- SPOKANE, WASH.: DeDe McKay; Vancouver: Bev Jozwiak, Vickie Nelson, Hank Weber.
The exhibit schedule for Tour 2000:
- CORVALLIS: Guistina Gallery, LaSells, Stewart Center, OSU, Feb. 24 to March 29. Opening reception Wednesday, Feb. 23, 7 to 9 p.m. For information contact Lydia Perry, 541-737-2402.
- HOOD RIVER: Columbia Art Gallery, April 7-29. Reception Friday, April 7, 7 to 9 p.m. For information contact Myrna Clements, 541-386-4512.
- BEND: OSU Central Oregon, May 2-29. Opening reception Monday, May 1, 5 to 7 p.m. For information contact Linda Johnson, 541-312-8361.
- CONDON: Gilliam Courthouse, June 2-27. Reception Saturday evening, June 3. For information contact Laura Pryor, 541-384-6351.
- WALLA WALLA, WASH.: Carnegie Art Center, June 29 to July 26. For information, call Heidi Thomas, 509-525-4270.
- SALEM: Capitol Galleria, State Capitol Rotunda, Aug. 1-31. Closing reception Thursday, Aug. 31, 12 noon to 2 p.m. For information contact Robin Speer, 503-986-1388.