CORVALLIS - Oregon State University will launch the 1999-2000 academic year this Thursday, Sept. 16, during its annual University Day event.
Oregon University System Chancellor Joseph Cox will deliver opening remarks and Yvette Webber-Davis, OUS policy associate for diversity, affirmative action, and special projects, will give a talk titled, "Higher Education's Diversity Crossroads."
The ceremony will include speeches by OSU President Paul Risser; Ken Williamson, OSU Faculty Senate president; and Dee Safley, president-elect of the OSU Office Personnel Association.
OSU will also honors its top faculty and staff during University Day, with awards presented for teaching, service and achievement. Displays open in LaSells Stewart Center at 9 a.m. and the awards program will begin at 10 a.m.
A reception for award recipients will be held at the CH2M-HILL Alumni Center following the program. Award recipients include:
- Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award - David Hardesty, professor of art.
- OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award - Neil R. Davison, associate professor of English.
- Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award - Cheryl L. Jordan, interim department head and assistant professor in apparel, interiors, housing and merchandising.
- D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award - Anthony Wilcox, chair and associate professor in exercise and sport science.
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award - Edward C. Jensen, associate professor in forest resources and director of the Forestry Media Center.
- Herbert F. Frolander Graduate Teaching Assistant Award - Kerry P. Browne, graduate student in physics.
- International Service Award - Dianne W. Hart, senior instructor in Spanish and Latin America director for international internships; Jack C. Bailes, professor in accounting, finance, and information management.
- OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award - Rubin Landau, professor of physics.
- OSU Award for Service to Persons with Disabilities - Jo D. Frederic, staff interpreter for Services for Students with Disabilities.
- OSU Exemplary Employee Awards - Ginny Domka, administrative specialist in the Department of History; and Patsy Hendricks, surplus coordinator in property management.
- OSU Extended Education Faculty Achievement Award - Jay W. Pscheidt, associate professor in botany and plant pathology.
- Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award - Michael Schlax, senior research assistant in oceanic and atmospheric sciences.
- University Professional Development Award - Debbie Jimmerson, office manager in mechanical engineering.