CORVALLIS - Oregon State University will honor its top employees Wednesday at University Day, the official academic event to note the beginning of fall term.
The university is beginning the year on a high note, as projected enrollment is expected to increase by about 5 percent, officials say, boosting the number of students on campus fall term to an estimated 14,800.
Awards for teaching, service and achievement will be given during a half-day celebration that will include speeches by Paul Risser; OSU President; Ross Jefferys, president-elect of the Office Personnel Association; and Maggie Niess, OSU Faculty Senate president.
Displays open in LaSells Stewart Center at 9 a.m. and the two-hour awards program will begin at 10 a.m. in the LaSells Stewart Center.
Immediately following the program, there will be a reception in the CH2M Hill Alumni Center.
Award winners include:
- D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award - Sally K Francis, professor and head of the Department of Apparel, Interiors, Housing and Merchandising.
- OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award - Nancy O. Bryant, professor in apparel, interiors, housing and merchandising.
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award - Patricia S. Muir, associate professor of botany and plant pathology and director of the undergraduate environmental science program.
- Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award - Royal G. Jackson, associate professor of forest resources.
- Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award - Gary Ferngren, professor of history.
- OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award - Robert K. Paasch, associate professor in mechanical engineering.
- OSU Extended Education Faculty Achievement Award - Jon Dorbolo, distributed learning developer, communication media center.
- Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award - Judy Butler, senior faculty research assistant in the Department of Agricultural Chemistry.
- Herbert F. Frolander Graduate Teaching Assistant Award - Kathleen Marie Greaves, doctoral student in human development and family studies.
- University Professional Development Award - Pam Henderson, head adviser and coordinator of instructional services for the College of Forestry.
- OSU Exemplary Employee Awards - Susan J. Brown, registered nurse in student health services; and John Doll, construction foreman/coordinator in facilities services.
- International Service Award - Joan Gross, associate professor of anthropology.
- OSU Award for Service to Persons with Disabilities - Warren Suzuki, associate professor of education.