CORVALLIS - Oregon State University will play host to more than 3,000 mothers as the campus celebrates Mom's Weekend '97 from May 2-4.
Most activities, including films, an antique show and sale and a Renaissance Fair, are open to the public. Events are organized by OSU's Memorial Union Program Council.
Events begin at 6:30 a.m. Friday, May 2, as OSU moms receive day-long free admission to Dixon Recreation Center - the campus' main fitness center - when accompanied by a student with OSU identification.
Also on tap Friday are tours of OSU's pilot microbrewery, which is used to teach Oregonians about beer production, as well as aid private industry in product development. Tours will be offered from 3-5 p.m. in Wiegand Hall.
Saturday events include a Health, Fitness and Appearance Show from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in McAlexander Field House and free hot air balloon rides in the intramural fields from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
On Sunday, there will be a Spring Garden Festival in Corvallis' Central Park from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and a free 3 p.m. Honors Recital, featuring top OSU music students, in LaSells Stewart Center.
For Mom's Weekend information, contact Memorial Union programs at 541-737-6872.
Planned activities for the weekend include:
Friday, May 2
- All Day: Exhibit, "Contemporary Eugene Artists," Memorial Union Craft Center; Moms admitted free to Dixon Recreation Center when accompanied by student with OSU identification; Attend classes with son or daughter.
- 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.: Lonesome Pot Sale, featuring student craft work, MU Student Lounge.
- 3 - 5 p.m.: Tours of OSU microbrewery, Wiegand Hall.
- 6 - 9 p.m.: Moms Club Greeting and Reception Table, MU Concourse.
- 7 p.m.: International Film Series, "Mother," Gilfillan Auditorium, $3. Encore performance at 9 p.m. and at 7 and 9 p.m. Saturday, May 3.
- 7 p.m.: "An Evening of Fashion and Dessert," MU Ballroom, $8.
- 9 p.m.: Comedy Show, featuring Brian Haley, LaSells Stewart Center, $10.
Saturday, May 3
- All Day: "Contemporary Eugene Artists," MU Craft Center; Moms free at Dixon Recreation Center when accompanied by student with OSU identification.
- 10 a.m.: Equal Opportunities Program Scholarship Fund-raiser Auction. Silent auction at 10 a.m., oral auction at 1:30 p.m. Items include a signed Blazers basketball, food items and resort vacations. MU Room 109.
- 10 a.m.: Mom's Weekend Brunch, MU Lounge $6; Mom's Weekend Fashion Show, MU Ballroom, $7; free step aerobic class, Dixon Recreation Center.
- 10 a.m. - noon: Radiation Center Tours.
- 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.: "Free Carnations for Mom," MU Quad; "Mom and I Photos," one for $5, two for $7, MU Student Lounge.
- 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.: Renaissance Faire, brick mall, east side of MU; Health Fitness and Appearance Show, McAlexander Field House; Campus Activity Fair and OSU Press Bargain Book Sale, MU Quad; 10th annual Pet Day, College of Veterinary Medicine Open House, displays, petting zoo, fun run, pet wash, Magruder Hall.
- 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.: Boy Scout Troop Antique Show and Sale, 607 N.W. 25th St.
- 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.: Hot air balloon rides, intramural fields.
- 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.: "Entertainment in the Quad," MU Quad.
- Noon: Mom's Weekend Tea, MU Lounge, $7; Mom's Weekend Fashion Show, MU Ballroom, $7; Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays Presentation Panel, MU American Indian Conference Room; Mom's Weekend Bowling Tournament, MU Recreation Center.
- 1 - 4 p.m.: Wine tasting, MU East International Forum.
- 2 p.m.: Mom's Weekend Tea, MU Lounge, $7; Mom's Weekend Fashion Show, MU Ballroom, $7.
- 3 p.m.: Kappa Alpha Psi Talent Show and Step Exhibition, Milam Auditorium, $6.
- 7 p.m.: Interfraternity Council Sing, featuring 400 OSU students performing musicals live on stage, Gill Coliseum, $9; screening of feature film, "Jerry McGuire," Milam Auditorium, $3; International Film Series screening of "Mother," Gilfillan Auditorium, $3, encore at 9 p.m.
Sunday, May 4
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.: Newman Center Antique Show and Sale, 607 N.W. 25th St.
- 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.: Spring Garden Festival, Corvallis' Central Park.
- Noon - 10 p.m.: Mom's admitted free to Dixon Recreation Center when accompanied by student with OSU identification.
- 3 p.m.: Honors Recital, featuring top OSU music students, LaSells Stewart Center.