CORVALLIS - Music, speakers and how-to demonstrations highlight Oregon State University's annual Earth Week Celebration.
Activities are free and open to the public and start on the 26th anniversary of Earth Day - Monday, April 22, said Julie McGowan, an OSU junior in science, and events coordinator.
Focal point of the week is "to celebrate the Earth and get out all information possible to promote environmental awareness," McGowan said. Events are sponsored by Associated Students of OSU Environmental Affairs Task Force.
Top draw is an information fair scheduled from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wednesday, April 24, in OSU's Memorial Union Ballroom, McGowan said. The fair features ways to decrease the environmental impacts of everyday life.
Earth Week activities include:
Monday, April 22
- Noon: William Lunch, OSU associate professor of political science, will speak about the concepts of Earth Day; OSU president Paul Risser also will speak. (MU lounge) Tree planting at OSU's Gilbert Hall follows.
Tuesday, April 23
- 1 p.m.: A series of presentations by the Corvallis Environmental Center, including the Oregon bottle bill expansion initiative, the sustainable forestry initiative and the clean streams initiative. MU Room 211. Time subject to change.
Wednesday, April 24
- 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Information Fair, featuring ways people can learn to live in closer harmony with the earth. Memorial Union Ballroom.
- Noon: "Oregonians for Environmental Rights," a talk hosted by the Corvallis Environmental Center. MU lounge.
- 6-7 p.m.: Survey on public perceptions of forestry issues, hosted by the Corvallis Environmental Center. MU Martin Luther King Jr. Room.
Thursday, April 25
- 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.: "Vegetarian Table," an exhibit on vegetarian eating by the Vegetarian Supper Club. "Waste Audit," by Campus Recycling explores what enters the garbage stream at OSU. Both events in Memorial Union Quad.
Friday, April 26
- 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.: Campus Recycling display. MU Quad.
- Noon - 2 p.m.: A series of speakers will discuss environmental issues, topics to be announced. MU lounge.
- 7 p.m. - 11 p.m.: Singer Rob Hoyt takes center stage at a musical Earth Week celebration hosted by the Corvallis Environmental Center. Refreshments will be provided. MU lounge.