How’s your frog IQ?
(correct answers at the end)
Presented by Andrew Blaustein at Corvallis Science Pub in February 2013
1. What was the name of the movie that starred Ray Milland and Sam Elliot where frogs were taking over the world?
The Amphibian Chronicles
2. What U.S. president was extremely fond of frogs and collected frog figurines and frog letter openers?
3. Who was “Heket” (Heqat) of ancient Egypt?
A god in the shape of a bullfrog that controlled life along the river
The pharaoh who caused a plague of frogs to rain down on the people
The Egyptian frog goddess of fertility
A farmer who raised frogs as a delicacy for royalty
4. What newspaper broke these two stories on the front page: “The Watergate Scandal” & “Scientists detect mysterious declines in global populations of frogs”
The Washington Post
The National Enquirer
The Christian Science Monitor
The New York Times
5. Which president said, “Eighty percent of air pollution comes not from chimneys and auto exhaust pipes, but from plants and trees.”
George W. Bush
6. What is the main cause for amphibian malformations—extra limbs-deformed limbs?
A virus associated with polluted water
A parasitic flatworm
7. True or false: As adults, some frog species are herbivorous — eat only plant material.
True, a half-dozen species eat only plants
False, all are carnivorous
8. The major cause for our loss in “biodiversity” is”
Loss of ozone in the upper atmosphere
9. Spreading fungal diseases are killing populations of these two groups of vertebrates:
Black howler monkeys and newts
Hummingbirds and frogs
Salmon and salamanders
Bats and amphibians
10. Which U.S. president was responsible for the formation of the Environmental Protection Agency?
2. Bill Clinton
3. The Egyptian frog goddess of fertility
4. The Washington Post
5. Ronald Reagan
6. A parasitic flatworm
7. False, all are carnivorous
8. Habitat destruction
9. Bats and amphibians
10. Richard Nixon