OSU is one of the top ten most bike-friendly campuses in the nation, according to Best Colleges Online. The OSU ranking was partly based on the university’s location in Corvallis, which is known as the second most bike-friendly town in the nation.
Bike Friendly University!
One of the Most Efficient Ways to Get Around
Bicycling to work/school makes sense for a number of reasons:
- Biking requires no gasoline and very little in the way of bike maintenance.
- No parking permit is required to bike to school/work.
- Biking at a pace of 10 mph burns 400 calories an hour for someone who weighs 150 lbs (from Bicycling Magazine).
- If you bike to work for 30 minutes, there is no need to work out that day.
- People who bike to work generally have lower health care costs than those who drive.
- Biking produces no air pollution.
- Biking reduces dependence on oil.
Biking at OSU
- Bike Parking Map (link to bike parking map coming soon)
- Google Maps has a bicycle option! Simply enter your start and end locations and click on the bike icon to get directions.
- Bike Theft Prevention
- Bike Registration at OSU--OSU Department of Public Safety registers bicycles for free.
- Bike Safety & Rules-- For more specific information, see ODOT's Bike Statutes Page.
- Buildings with Lockers include:
- Dixon--free day lockers and rental lockers for $12-$18/term.
- Valley Library--locker rentals for $10/three weeks.
- Langton and Women's Building--Rental lockers available for faculty and staff.
- Buy a used bike at OSU Surplus Property
- Fix your bike at the Outdoor Recreation Center's bike repair facility in Dixon Recreation Center. Access to the facility is free for students; faculty, staff and affiliates can use the facility with a current Recreational Sports membership. Mechanics are available to help you maintain and repair your bike. Call the ORC at 737-3630 for the mechanics' schedule.
- Local Bike Shops
- Bike Maps!
- Corvallis Bicycle Collective-- The Corvallis Bike Collective is a non-profit organization, comprised entirely of volunteers and dedicated to putting safe, affordable, working bikes under all people of Corvallis.
- U-lock maintenance--Sticky lock? If you're having problems with your U-lock these easy maintenance tips will help.