Resources and Educational Materials
More resources on our Pinterest Page
- Superfund Research Program (SRP), administered by National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)
- Environmental Health Sciences Center at Oregon State University
- Lawrence Livermore National Library (LLNL)
- Penn State College of Medicine
- Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) - The Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) is an electronic data base containing information on human health effects that may result from exposure to various chemicals in the environment.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) Toxicological Profiles- By Congressional mandate, ATSDR produces "toxicological profiles" for hazardous substances found at Superfund sites. These profiles characterize the toxicologic and adverse health effects of these hazardous substances.
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
- EPA Region 10 (Pacific Northwest) | Portland Harbor, Oregon | Superfund Sites Where You Live
- EPA Superfund Information Systems - Access to a database containing general information on sites across the nation and U.S. territories including location, contaminants and cleanup actions taken.
- TOXMAP:® Environmental Health e-Maps - Use Quick Search or click on a map to explore on-site toxic chemical releases and hazardous waste sites from the EPA's Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) and the Superfund National Priorities List (NPL).
- EPA Map of Superfund Sites
- GeoPlatform.gov/gulfresponse - Map of the BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico displaying near-real time information about the response effort. Developed by NOAA with the EPA, U.S. Coast Guard, and the Department of Interior, the site offers you a “one-stop shop” for spill response information.
- ATSDR - Toxicity of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- NIST Special Publication (SP) 922 is an aid in the identification of the chemical structures of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- International Society of Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds
- The fourth edition of the Factsheet PAH.pdf on the EU-RL pages (10/11)
- Sinnhuber Aquatic Research Laboratory K-12 outreach Hands-on zebrafish activities
- Middle School Activities on concepts of mass, chemical separation, analytical chemistry, and data analysis - Created from a Graduate Seminar on Preparing Effective Outreach Modules for Middle School Students
- Unsolved Mysteries of Human Health - Interactive to learn how chemicals in the air and water are analyzed as well as why zebrafish are so beneficial in research.
- ToxRap Education Program - Introduces students in grades K-9 to the principles of toxicology and the process of risk assessment
- K-12 Environmental Health Curricula Resources from EHSC
- Air Quality Index: An interactive activity adapted from "Air Quality Index: A Guide to Air Quality and Your Health" by the U.S. EPA examines how data related to pollutants in the air are collected and reported. For grades 6-12.
- Investigating PAHs: Your Own Mini-Epi Study - An activity from NIEHS for 10-12 grade. Students read EHP article “Prenatal PAH Exposure Causes Genetic Changes in Newborns,” and design a mini epidemiological study to identify potential sources of PAHs and at-risk populations in their community.
- Fishing for Food: In this interactive game adapted from the EPA, students on a fishing trip try to catch different types of fish. The game teaches students which fish have high or low levels of mercury, and how much is safe to eat.
- Gulf Oil Spill Educational Videos from Teacher's Domain
- EHP Science Education Program
More resources under Community Outreach Events
- Native Languages - Part 5 of a video on The Sounds of Oregon from the Oregonian
- Tribal Rights and Fish Consumption Workshop: Issues and Opportunities for the Pacific Northwest
- American Indian Health
- A response to Delistraty etal. (2010) "Radiological risk from consuming fish and wildlife to Native Americans on the Hanford Site (USA)" (pdf)
- Commentary: Power, rights, respect and data ownership in academic research with indigenous peoples (pdf)
- Regional Tribal Exposure Scenariosfrom College of Public Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State
- Prenatal PAH exposure linked to behavioral problems in kids NIEHS Environmental Factor - July 2011
- Superfund: is it safe to go home? (pdf)
- Childhood Asthma and Early-Life Exposure to Air Pollution Environmental Health Perspectives (EHP) October 2009
- Prenatal Airborne Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Exposure and Child IQ at Age 5 Years