BEST Bridge Program
The BEST Summer Bridge Program
Incoming, first-year student athletes may participate upon the recommendation of their OSU head coaches. Student athletes are prioritized based on need and availability.
The BEST Summer Bridge Program is an immersion program designed to help new student athletes adapt to the college environment by learning to balance academics and sports. Think of it as an effective jump-start for a collegiate career. The program includes daytime, evening and weekend activities. Full participation in all aspects of the program is required. Students should consider this a 24/7 program with minimal free time. Some of the significant components of the program are:
- Welcome Event: The program kicks off with a Welcome Event in the Club Level of Reser Stadium where we offer dinner and a welcome from the Oregon State University community. All participants are expected to attend. If students have family members accompanying them to campus, they are welcome and encouraged to attend the Welcome Event.
- Six Credits toward Graduation: BEST students take Sociology 204 or 206 (3 credits) that fulfills a Baccalaureate Core requirement and Academic Learning Services 199 (3 credits) that develops best practices for new students. These courses are the “bridge” for participants to hone the skills necessary to succeed as student athletes at the university level. Students have support from residence hall assistants, professors, study facilitators, and writing assistants. This curriculum meets the NCAA requirements for initial orientation programs.
- Group Activities: Because the BEST program focuses on holistic development, we are able to offer unique Saturday and Sunday learning experiences. These experiences may include some of the following: rafting on the McKenzie River, visiting a correctional facility, participating in a poverty study, or attending an OSU home football game. Please note that participation in these weekend activities is required by all BEST students.
- Residential Experience: As part of the enriched learning experience, throughout the BEST Program students live with the other BEST students in one wing of a selected residence hall—Bloss Hall, which is conveniently located near the classroom building and athletic facilities.
- University Orientation: Your BEST experience includes OSU’s First-Year student orientation, advising, and fall class registration program (known as START). We take care of registration.