Study Facilitator Position Annoucement
Through several learning services, Academics for Student Athletes provides academic and personal support to student athletes at Oregon State University (OSU). The Study Facilitator will work closely with student athletes in a structured environment designed to develop quality study practices for each student. In this applied study assistance program, Study Facilitators will assist with organization and time management and other techniques that contribute to student productivity and success.
The university has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, multiculturalism and community. We actively engage in recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and student body that include members of historically underrepresented groups. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming and supportive campus environment. OSU provides outstanding leadership opportunities for people interested in promoting and enhancing diversity, nurturing creativity and building community.
- provide intensive academic coaching for students with demonstrated academic need in a small group or one-on-one setting
- provide a supportive study environment to a group of approximately 7 first year freshmen or transfer students - primary emphasis on assisting in the development of sound academic habits, secondary emphasis on assisting with course content.
With either type of group, Study Facilitators:
- Develop positive working relationship with students
- Are engaged with students for the duration of your sessions
- Work with students to organize, prioritize and plan for completion of academic assignments and requirements
- Actively facilitate student completion of these assignments
- Provide guidance and coaching with issues concerning student navigation of Oregon State University
- Role model appropriate academic and professional behavior and communication
- Communicate regularly with supervisors as well as Academic Counselors
- Attend (mandatory) 2013 Orientation, Sunday, September 29, 2013
- Work approximately 11 hours per week: Mondays - Thursdays 6:45-9:15pm (study hall) and Mondays, 5:45 - 6:45pm (staff meeting).
- Begin work with students Wednesday, October 2, 2013
- Are adaptable, patient, organized, punctual and responsible
$9/hour for undergrads, $11/hour for post-bacc and graduate students, $13/hour for students with teaching licenses. Modest yearly raises with performance.
Fall 2013, with continuation through the academic year with good job performance in fall. *It is assumed that if you submit an application, you will be able to work all hours listed in the job description for the entirety of the fall.*
- Currently enrolled as a graduate student, or as an undergraduate student with Senior or Junior standing (very qualified sophomores will be considered on a case-by-case basis; see "Requested Document Notes" re: cover letter)
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above (if below, see "Requested Document Notes" re: cover letter)
- Experience and proficiency in basic Baccalaureate Core areas
- Knowledge of resources and services of Oregon State University
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Exhibit leadership, responsibility, dependability and professionalism
- Experience as a tutor, teacher, educator or interest in pursuing a career in education is strongly preferred, but not required
Required Application Documents
- Fill out all information requested on our webform, and attach the following:
- Cover Letter
- The cover letter is your space to demonstrate to us why you are qualified for this position. If you carry a GPA lower than a 3.0 or have not yet attained junior standing, please explain in your cover letter why you feel you are still qualified for this position and what your experiences would bring to your work in our office. All applications that demonstrate the candidate is holistically qualified will be considered, regardless of GPA or class standing. (Thus, applicants who meet minimum guidelines carry a burden of proof as well.)
Submit your application through our user-friendly webform.