Statement of Wonderfulness
In Celebration of
Markie has been overseeing the editorial production of the Barometer every night, Sunday through Thursday for over nine years. Students are preparing all the editorials on a daily basis and Markie assists in the review of these editorials and is also training the students on the layout program. The paper is rarely ever ready by Markie’s deadline each evening but she still manages to get it to the printer and out on the street on time. Markie is an integral part of the Student Media team during the evening hours and is also part of the Connections Program, requiring day time hours.
Markie has excelled in the training of the student staff. Everything that happens with the Barometer is known by Markie and she has used her considerable talent to groom the students in editorial production and layout as well as taking pride in their work.
Several comments (many repeated) regarding Markie: “Markie has the “Patience of Job”. She cares so much about her job and her staff and takes great pride in producing the Barometer. She is creative, caring and capable, and extremely easy to work with. She’s a wonderful mother. She is the least recognized and the most appreciated person in our group. What would our campus do without her?
The best words to describe Markie?
- Dependable – we can all count on Markie getting the paper out on time!
- Courageous – she has worked hard in her life and taken chances.
- Patience – she is able to work with the students to bring out the best in them.
- Caring – the paper and her staff are the most important parts of her job and she shows it every day.
- Calm – Markie can accomplish her tasks without causing any storms.
Markie deserves this recognition and the Student Media Team is very proud of her. She is truly an “Unsung Hero”!
10th Annual Service Awards Celebration
Division of Student Affairs
Oregon State University
May 26, 2005