Judy Hickam - Student Affairs Service Award 2010-11
Statement of Wonderfulness
In Celebration of
Like many people in EOP, Judy was demonstrating the values of the Campus Compact long before such a thing existed. She exemplifies the caring and devotion to student welfare that the compact is built upon. She truly celebrates with the students and shares their hurt and pain when they are down. She will "go the extra mile -- or two" with any student who asks for her assistance.
The impact that Judy has on students is immeasurable. Colleagues describe her as Unique, Friendly, Committed, Compassionate, Giving, Heart-felt, Dedicated and One-of-a-Kind. Here are just a few more things her colleague had to say about her:
- Students flock to Judy! They know her as a petite person whose heart is bigger than she is! She will go out of her way consistently to help students. She will champion students that others might have ignored or passed on to others. Some of our most challenging students to work with find a home with Judy because they know she cares immensely for them, not only as students but also as people. Judy has proven herself over and over again as an unwavering student advocate who always looks for (and finds!) the good in everyone she meets.
- Judy is a special person, I wish there were more Judy’s on campus.
- EOP is a community and Judy want students to feel safe and comfortable in that community.
- She is committed to providing opportunities for EOP staff to get together in informal situations so that we can get to know each other better and therefore work better together for the benefit of the students.
- Judy takes ownership of the placement of her students. She truly wants them to be successful. The students respect her.
In addition to doing an excellent job of teaching and advising, Judy has an open-door policy. She works with all other students who need help with job-search, interviewing and resume-writing skills. In whatever she does, Judy goes above and beyond the call of duty. She is always willing to be of service to students. Students feel comfortable approaching her for assistance. She also has an excellent rapport with her colleagues.
Judy exhibits genuine concern and care for everyone around her. She has great integrity in everything that she does. She is constantly giving and doesn’t expect anything in return. She is very deserving of this award and much more.
7th Annual Service Awards Celebration
Division of Student Affairs
Oregon State University
June 5, 2002