- About the SSI
- Student Sustainabilty Center
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
- The SSC land has been re-designed as a permaculture demonstration site.
- Landscaping of native plants around the house, provided by Willamette Gardens.
- Removal of nearly all invasive plants.
- Lawn alternative seed mix around the house.
- Raised beds and small demonstration organic garden behind the house.
- Mulch from local hazelnut shells to prevent weed growth and promote water and nutrient retention.
- Two large bike racks for secure bike parking.
- The SSC is on the Corvallis Transit System Routes 3, 6, and 8.
Energy and Interiors:
- Efficient lighting plan, which uses only tubular fluorescent and compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs.
- Low flow (1.6 gallons per flush) toilet.
- Original refinished wood floors instead of mold-susceptible carpet.
- Marmoleum (100% natural linoleum) in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Interior and exterior painted with low-VOC paint.
- All kitchen scraps at the center are composted on site.
- Food for events is either grown on site, organic, and/or purchased from the First Alternative Co-op, a local member-owned grocery.
- Newly planted fruit trees will soon bear apples, cherries, and pears.
- Annual vegetables in the gardens either used by the SSI or donated.
- We use co-mingled and mixed-paper recycling bins and provide battery and cell phone receptacles.
- Three composting systems on site: Earth Tub, Worm Wigwam, and Three-Bin System.
- Students and community members who cannot compost at home are encouraged to bring kitchen scraps to the Earth Tub.
If you have ideas about how to reduce the ecological footprint of the SSC or create a stronger community here, please let us know!