- About the SSI
- Student Sustainabilty Center
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
Waste Reduction Projects Intern
The Waste Reduction Projects Intern (Waste Reduction Intern) will be responsible for assisting with projects that engage students in moving OSU towards a zero-waste institution. He or she will work with the Waste Reduction Project Coordinator, SSI staff, volunteers, OSU faculty and staff, and Corvallis community members to make sure these projects are successful.
- Assist with the overall planning, advertising, and executing of various sustainability-related projects.
- Directly plan, advertise, and execute either entire projects, or portions of projects.
- Conduct research, engage in networking, and facilitate discussion on the feasibility of projects being considered or pursued.
- Coordinate volunteers.
- Perform outreach.
- Assist with marketing and publicity efforts surrounding the projects.
- Meet regularly with the SSI Waste Reduction Projects Coordinator to plan activities and brainstorm ways to improve the mechanisms and resources facilitating those activities.
- Work at least 1-5 hours/week for the duration of the internship. (Additional hours may be negotiated.)
- Some understanding of, and interest in, sustainability.
- General project management experience.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Specialization in a certain type of project (e.g. legislative, event, policy and operations, resource development).
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Event and campaign planning experience.
- Understanding of different ways to make events and operations zero-waste.
- Great people skills.
- Interest in contributing to improving both the activities and mechanisms of the SSI.
Closed to Applications
$9.50 per hour
Terms and Conditions:
Applications are open to students and non-students, but preference will be given to students. In order to be considered a student, the applicant must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the internship, during the term prior to the internship, or during the term following the internship. Interns, like all staff, are expected to affirm and uphold University policies that help create and mainatin a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status.
Submit a cover letter and resume to the Waste Reduction Project Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/sustainability/ssi. The AY12 projects being pursued by the SSI Waste Reduction Group include: Composting in the Dorms Pilot, Zero-Waste Events, and In-House Composting Trial. Together, applicants and SSI staff will negotiate an appropriate length for the internship. Recommended lengths include: (a) 10 weeks, (b) 21-24 weeks, and (c) 35 weeks.