- About the SSI
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
Food Projects Intern
The Food Projects Intern (Food Intern) will be responsible for assisting with projects that engage students in making the food systems supporting OSU organic, local, environmentally responsible, and socially beneficial. He or she will work with the Food Project Coordinator, SSI staff, volunteers, OSU faculty and staff, and Corvallis community members to make sure these projects are successful.
- Assist with the overall planning, advertising, and executing of various food sustainability-related projects.
- Directly plan, advertise, and execute either entire projects, or portions of projects.
- Conduct research, engage in networking, and facilitate discussion on the feasibility of projects being considered or pursued.
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers.
- Perform outreach; assist with marketing and publicity efforts surrounding the projects.
- Meet regularly with the SSI Food Projects Coordinator to plan activities and brainstorm ways to improve the mechanisms and resources facilitating those activities.
- Work at least 1-5 hours/week for the duration of the internship. (Additional hours may be negotiated.)
- Some understanding of, and interest in, food sustainability.
- General project management experience.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Specialization in a certain type of project (e.g. legislative, event, policy and operations, resource development).
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Event and campaign planning experience.
- Understanding of different ways to make food systems local, organic, environmentally responsible, and socially beneficial.
- Great people skills.
- Interest in contributing to improving both the activities and mechanisms of the SSI.
Open to Applications
Employment Dates and Hours:
Work at least 1-5 hours/week for the duration of the internship. (Additional hours may be negotiated.)
The SSI will work with the student to secure credit for the internship.
Terms and Conditions:
Applications are open to students and non-students, but preference will be given to students. In order to be considered a student, the applicant must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the internship, during the term prior to the internship, or during the term following the internship. Interns, like all staff, are expected to affirm and uphold University policies that help create and mainatin a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status.
Submit a cover letter and resume to the Food Project Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/sustainability/ssi. The AY12 projects being pursued by the SSI Food Group include: Campus Food Assessment, Tasting Tables, and Sustainable Cooking Classes. Together, applicants and SSI staff will negotiate an appropriate length for the internship. Recommended lengths include: (a) 10 weeks, (b) 21-24 weeks, and (c) 35 weeks.