Facts about Sexual Violence
- One in four college women and one in 13 men will experience an act of completed or attempted rape (NIJCDC, 1998).
- The vast majority of sexual assaults (at least 85%) are perpetrated by someone who is known to the survivor, such as a partner, friend, acquaintance, or classmate (NIJCDC, 1998).
- One in three college relationships have a violent component to them (Sellers and Bromley, 1996).
- One in 12 women and one in 45 men will be stalked in their lifetime (NIJCDC, 1998).
- Nearly two-thirds of college students experience some type of sexual harassment, and less than 10 percent report the harassment (AAUW report, 2006).