skip page navigationOregon State University
OSU Home.|Calendar.|Find Someone.|Maps.|Site Index.

Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate » April 14, 2005

Faculty Senate Minutes

2005 No. 603
April 14, 2005
 

The regular monthly meeting of the Faculty Senate was called to order by President Jeff Hale on April 14, 2005 at 3:03 PM in the LaSells Stewart Center. The March minutes were approved as distributed.

Meeting Summary
  • Action Items: Approval of March Minutes [Motion 05-603-01].
  • Special Reports: IFS Recap - M. Carson; Salem Update - J. Mills; Athletics Update - B. De Carolis; and Legislative Report - F. Morse.
  • New Business: None.
SPECIAL REPORTS

Interinstitutional Faculty Senate

IFS Senator Mina Carson provided a brief recap of the April IFS meeting, during which they also met with the Oregon State Board of Higher Education. The OSBHE has created space on their agenda for Board members to meet informally with IFS Senators to discuss common concerns. Carson felt that the tone of those meetings has become increasingly friendly and that positions on issues of particular interest to faculty are growing closer.

She indicated there were three major topics discussed during the IFS meeting:

  • OTM (Oregon Transfer Module) - There was a positive exchange with Gretchen Schuette, Chemeketa Community College President and OSBHE member, regarding extending the OTM discussion; Carson felt this was a positive dialog in setting out common and different missions. IFS was able to cajole an invitation from the Joint Boards Articulation Committee (JBAC), which is heavily involved in OTM, to nominate an OUS faculty member to sit on their board; Maureen Sevigny from OIT was appointed.
  • Ethics Statement - IFS discussed how they might contribute to the creation of an ethics statement being elicited by the governor from OUS institutions. Chancellor Pernsteiner asked IFS to provide recommendations on an ethics statement, which they are currently developing. He will review the models and develop final recommendations. Hale noted that Angelo Gomez is drafting a policy regarding sexual harassment and consensual relationships that will be forwarded to the Chancellor's Office.
  • Curriculum - Language in the legislature regarding joint numbering of courses, further interaction with community colleges, etc., appears to be changing daily.

IFS Senator Doescher noted it seems that the OSBHE and Chancellor are turning more often to the IFS for input.

Salem Update

While introducing Jock Mills, Director of Government Relations, President Hale thanked him for coordinating OSU Day at the Capital on April 6. Mills, in turn, thanked his assistant Brandon Trelstad for his efforts related to OSU Day.

Mills provided a brief recap of bills pending and budget issues under consideration by the Legislature.

  • Higher Education Budgets - There are three budgets: the House, Senate and governor's. The House and Senate are in close alignment, but differ greatly from the governor's budget which has allotted $24 million more in Oregon Opportunity Grants. The other two have $24 million less in their budgets for the Opportunity Grant program since they felt the increase was too much money too quickly. The legislative budgets allocated $33 million more to OUS to support no increases in tuition (tuition money is being replaced by General Fund money). The legislative budget eliminated general fund money to Rogue Community College and SOU for a new building. The Senate eliminated $300,000 for OSU's Institute for Natural Resources. There is an increase in the Agricultural Experiment Station budget of $1.3 million in the Senate and $2.3 million in the House; Mills noted that the House has always been more supportive of the statewide public service programs. The House budget includes an additional $300,000 for the Forest Research Lab. The House eliminated $1 million for faculty salaries and reduced the DAS budget by 10% for salary increases. The governor's budget includes a 7% and 5% tuition increase over the next two years. In response to Senator Lunch, Liberal Arts, questioning the ending fund balances, Mills noted that legislators are looking at $8 million that has been obligated within OUS but not yet spent. Mills stated that the governor is not happy about the reductions in the Oregon Opportunity Grants. Mills is working on getting faculty salaries dealt with, is intent on retaining deferred maintenance capital projects, and is closely watching the state-wide public service programs. The third phase of the budget process will begin after May 13 when the next budget forecast is released.
  • Senate Bills - SB 769 provides in-state tuition for undocumented workers who have been in the state for three years and are working toward citizenship; President Ray has written a letter of support. SB 543 provides resident tuition for all veterans, not just those from Oregon. Senator Morse is working on a tax incentive bill for people who donate to universities to develop innovation/commercialization efforts to get ideas to the marketplace.
  • Faculty Shadow Program - Mills has paired about a dozen legislators with OSU faculty and will still accept faculty who are interested in the program.

Senator Winter, Student Affairs, questioned how faculty can support increased funding for the Oregon Opportunity Grant. Mills responded that students currently receiving the grants and those who would have been eligible need to be engaged in writing to legislators regarding the impact the decision has on them; the letters are more effective when they are personalized and hand-written rather than form letters.

Richmond Barbour for Senator Ede, Liberal Arts, questioned how to advocate for faculty salaries. Mills noted that this is a constituent to legislator issue. It is not effective if state employees write to legislators using state resources. He noted there is $1 million allocated in both the Senate and governor's budgets.

President Hale noted that the Faculty Economic Welfare and Retirement Committee is preparing a salary report which will be given to President Ray and available for review by the Senate.

Athletics Update

Bob De Carolis, Athletic Director, addressed four major areas during his report:

  1. Student Athlete Conduct Review - The department is currently reviewing the athlete's disciplinary process in view of recent events involving athletes. From an educational program perspective, he wants to ensure that messages being sent to athletes, their frequency and impact are the best they can be. This needs to be a coordinated effort between the campus and athletics. The disciplinary process currently in place at the team and athletic department levels is not coordinated nor well defined and will be the next process to be reviewed.

    There are three committees associated with the conduct review : 1) Educational Programs Review, 2) Athletic Discipline Process Review Committee, and 3) Team Rules Committee. The disciplinary review will occur at three levels: 1) Athletic Department and team level, 2) University Student Conduct Review Board, and 3) the legal system. De Carolis noted that this is the process for all student-athletes. The goal is to have clear and defined consequences for all student-athletes.

    The Educational Programs Review Committee will gather information from other institutions, particularly in the PAC-10, and identify best practices. The group will consider indicators of risk, current and future programs, and identify lead units that will implement plan and provide structure for evaluation.

  2. NCAA Convention - The recently instituted Academic Progress Rate (APR) is a real-time snapshot of academic performance. The APR is calculated by each student-athlete earning one point for academic eligibility and one for retention. The cut line for all institutions is 925, which translates to a 50% graduation rate. If teams are below 925, they enter a penalty phase and could lose scholarships for the whole next year; however, teams will not lose more than 10% of the team members. Penalties could eventually result in the loss of eligibility for postseason play. De Carolis felt that the downside of the APR is retention. He gave an example of a 4.0 athlete that is drafted and the team is penalized a point because the athlete left the team.

    Four OSU teams are below 925, but three are within the confidence level due to academically eligible student-athletes leaving OSU; one team is below the confidence level.

  3. Athletics Financial Status - In 1998 the accumulated deficit was $12.5 million; last year the deficit was $5.7 million; and, due to Raising Reser efforts, the deficit was eliminated on June 30, 2004. The key to the Raising Reser project was to eliminate the debt, and to reduce Educational and General (E&G) funding from $4.2 million to $2.5 million - this likely will happen in 2006. The goal is to be self-sustaining and self-sufficient so that they receive no University funding. He noted that a new volleyball coach was announced on April 14 and a new women's basketball coach will soon be announced, but both come with a price.

  4. Raising Reser - The project has an $80 million price tag. The source of funding is $60 million from bonds and $32 million from donors - the donor funding included $20 million to Reser, elimination of the debt and two years of the debt service up front. The estimated yearly debt is about $4 million; they have currently raised $4.9 million. If stadium capacity reaches 80%, $10 million will be raised; if 100% capacity, $12 million will be raised. There will be about 3,000 new ticket holders on the new side. The construction is on schedule and on budget. De Carolis noted that the momentum needs to continue.

Senator Coblentz questioned how much can be attributed to the quarter system penalty for those teams scoring below 925. De Carolis responded that a Faculty Athletic Representative from UCLA is fighting with the NCAA on this issue. He noted that students in semester systems receive four points (two points per semester) while those in quarter systems receive six points. A penalty system is in place for those in a quarter system to compensate for the difference in points - there is still debate about this scoring. Although the cut line was instituted in September 2004, data was gathered from the previous two years to determine the ranking that came out in January. De Carolis noted that discussion is ongoing and that the system will be tweaked.

Senator Barofsky, Science, questioned what the graduation rate would be if transfers were removed from the calculation. De Carolis responded that academic progress, rather than graduation rates, are calculated in the APR. However, during the last reporting period, which was 1997-98, OSU's graduation rate was about 62% for all student-athletes. He acknowledged that if the transfers were removed, the number would be higher, but he didn't know what the number was. De Carolis offered to obtain the data and forward it to the EC to share with Senators.

Senator Mason, Agricultural Sciences, questioned how OSU compares to other PAC-10 schools with respect to the 925 APR system. De Carolis responded that the PAC-10 was the worst in the country due to the quarter system penalty.

Legislative Report

Senator Frank Morse presented information regarding the current legislative session. He introduced Senator David Nelson from Pendleton who accompanied him to the meeting.

Morse stated that the budget was the overriding issue in the legislature. He noted that he and Nelson serve on the Ways and Means Budget Writing Committee. He feels there is a genuine lack of understanding and denial of budget circumstances. Nearly one-third of the general fund budget (which funds higher education) is consumed by unfunded voter initiatives. Some conservative legislators feel that a spending cap is needed, although the data does not support that thought. Legislators are confronted with balancing the budget, when adjusted for initiatives and inflation, when 1990 spending was $1625 per capita and 2005 per capita is $1453.

Morse's staff compared Oregon to peer states in the west (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Nevada and California) as represented through discretionary funding (lottery and general fund). Oregon funding averages 1/3 for education, 1/3 for human services and 1/3 for public safety. As compared to the other states listed: Oregon is spending 84% more for public safety; 25% less for higher education; 22% less for human services. Morse noted that Oregon is trying to balance a budget to provide adequate resources for the critical core services with a system that is broken, and is living in an environment created by measures 28 and 30.

Senators Nelson and Morse have been trying to encourage a thoughtful process to look at the expenditure side and determine what is most important in terms of core services and functions, and eliminate that which falls below the line. Morse feels it is likely that the state will continue to dumb down in the future in an attempt to have a balanced budget and provide core services. He doesn't feel that the May forecast will hold wonderful surprises.

Senator Wilcox questioned how Oregon is disproportionate in public safety. Morse felt it was due to the Measure 11 effect and noted that Oregon leads the nation in methamphetamine use. The admission rate in 1992, per 100,000 in population, was more than 10 times the national admission rate and has now risen to 70 times higher. Treatment for this substance abuse ranks 49th in the nation for the 18-25 age group. Incarceration rates are increasing at a rate of greater than six times the rate of growth of Oregon's population.

Senator McMillen, Library, questioned whether there was a shared perception in the legislature of unfunded initiatives being a problem and is there discussion to address it. Morse stated that he sponsored a bill to address initiative reform, that is now dead. He noted that, since many initiatives don't have a thoughtful discussion, his bill would have required qualified initiatives to be short-stopped in the legislature for review of revenue and fiscal impacts, and legislators in the House and Senate would be required to vote on the initiative with those findings incorporated into the Voter's Pamphlet as an advisory. He felt that the initiative process needs to be preserved in a thoughtful way.

Senator Carson, Liberal Arts, noted that Multnomah County had that day declared invalid all marriage licenses issued to same-sex couples. She thanked Senator Morse for his support of civil unions and questioned the chances of passage of a civil union bill and whether he sees an increased negative impact of the Supreme Court decision. Morse responded that the potential is there to become more conservative and move further to the right. He felt that the ability to move the bill through the House and Senate is somewhat limited. He feels that public policy should reflect the intent to treat people equally and with dignity, respect and love. He also noted that the institute of marriage is sacred, but also believes that civil unions to grant equality and rights in committed, same-sex relationships are important, and discrimination in any place is unacceptable; he feels it is important to make that statement as public policy. He is hopeful there will be a thoughtful discussion on this topic, but feels it will be very difficult.

DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT

President Hale's report contained the following items:

  • At the March Senate meeting Senator Roberts questioned of Vincent Martorello whether parents are allowed to use staff parking when picking up or delivering children to Bates Hall and whether construction workers pay to park in staff parking; Martorello stated he would research the issues. His response, delivered by Hale, was that he determined there is a problem adjacent to Bates Hall and he will be reviewing actions to be taken. As for construction workers, Martorello indicated in March that he thought that parking permits were covered in bid contracts; however, he has learned that is not so. His goal is to require that contractors pay a pro-rated amount for parking permits on campus since they do take away available staff parking.

  • Oregon Transfer Module (OTM) - The Curriculum Instruction Administrators (CIA) have been meeting to identify problems and solutions related to OTM. The OSU CIA members are Michele Sandlin, Barbara Balz, Joanne Sorte, Mina McDaniel, John Shea and Jeff Hale. Hale stated that he did not feel that OSU needed to lead the OTM effort; he would be happy if others stepped up to begin to form the rules of engagement. JBAC (Joint Boards Articulation Committee) is working on implementation details and the CIA is involved. Hale noted that OSU voted to protect DPD in the OTM, to the extent possible, but some changes to DPD may be necessary. The DPD discussions are very preliminary, but every effort will be made to protect DPD. There may be a response from Science since one lab has been dropped in the OTM; there may be a way in the majors, or some other way, to pick up that lab. There will be an ad hoc committee appointed by the Faculty Senate attached to the Baccalaureate Core Committee that will look at transfers of credit into the Baccalaureate Core and OTM.

  • Communication with Administrative Units - There are a series of facilities decisions, made with little or no faculty input and dating back to December, that have affected the Corvallis campus, including: serving alcohol, building closures during breaks, suspension of janitorial services, etc. The Executive Committee has been working to improve the situation. Hale thanked Stella Coakley for her diligence in tracking how Facilities Services is interacting with faculty and to improve communication between the Faculty Senate and Facilities Services. Hale noted one case that involves a discussion regarding the proposed location of a restaurant/brew pub in the parking structure. Hale provided a chronology of the discussion:
    • September 2004 - Campus Planning Committee discussed a restaurant or a brew pub as a possibility for co-location with the proposed move of Arnold Dinining Center to the bottom floor of the parking structure.
    • Early fall there was a general discussion of the topic at the University Cabinet.
    • October 18, 2004 - Release of RFP for a Restaurant/Brew Pub lease by University Housing and Dining Services - the deadline for responses was November 8, 2004. McMeniman's was the only responder to the RFP, which resulted in subsequent plans and negotiations to move forward with the lease.
    • February 1, 2005 - A health services concern was raised with President's Ray and Hale regarding mixed messages related to serving alcohol on campus. ASOSU leadership voiced concerns related to changing the culture on campus, whether alcohol decisions were being made without being thoughtful, and questioned whether it is wise to serve alcohol in the midst of four freshman residence halls.
    • February 11, 2005 - Campus Planning Committee briefly discussed McMeniman's as part of the dining hall, but with no real specifics. By this time there were discussions among ASOSU, administrators and Faculty Senate that there was a need for dialog and discussion.
    • March 7, 2005 - Larry Roper facilitated a discussion of interested parties. Issues, concerns and possible solutions were identified. A secondary task force was created to examine the project.
    • March 28, 2005 - A meeting was held to discuss purposes and limitations of a restaurant. Concerns were voiced since the discussions were beginning to delay the project, which could increase the overall cost of the project. Hale felt that, by this time, all participants had learned a valuable lesson - all potentially affected parties needed to be involved in decisions earlier in the process rather than later.
    • April 4, 2005 - The EC reviewed the process and will meet with Mark McCambridge and Larry Roper on April 18 to discuss how a transparent process can be developed that recognizes how the entire community is affected by facility decisions and how all concerned parties can be part of the process through which decisions are made. The EC wants to make clear that the necessary processes were not followed, particularly with regard to the Campus Planning Committee. This seems to be indicative of a more fundamental problem with decision making processes and a lack of communication.
    • Hale thanked ASOSU for partnering with the Faculty Senate to examine this particular issue. Hale noted he heard nothing from any faculty member regarding the possible restaurant/brew pub.
  • Campus Planning Committee (CPC) - Jeff Hale thanked Mark McCambridge for his assistance in expanding the CPC membership to include the Faculty Senate President-Elect, President and Past President to provide better continuity and institutional memory on the committee. Vincent Martorello will present an annual CPC report to the EC regarding plans for facilities; the Faculty Senate will also be engaged.

Senator Lee, Science, questioned whether McMeniman's was a done deal. Hale responded that, officially, UHDS is in discussion with McMeniman's. There is still a need to hold discussions involving the neighborhood, as articulated by the CPC. President Ray suggested that Larry Roper should talk with the Senate. Ray does not feel it is a done deal and his understanding is that Roper believes there is meaningful discussion occurring with McMeniman's, and a contract has not been signed. There is also concern that OSU may be sued for breach of contract if we pull out. Hale noted that a set of talking points have been developed regarding this issue.

Senator Coblentz, Agricultural Sciences, felt there were no issues and questioned to what neighborhood is being referred. Hale stated these were not non-issues related to campus planning which includes regulations set forth by the City that must be followed. As far as the campus community, the faculty and ASOSU were not involved. Juan Trujillo, Executive Committee, noted that the needs of the adjacent cultural center should also to be taken into consideration. Hale requested that comments related to McMenamin's be forwarded to him. Hale noted that this issue is an example of why faculty must be vigilant when working with administration, particularly with Facilities Services, to ensure a strong and direct line of communication.

INFORMATION ITEMS

The following Information Items were mentioned:

  • Responses to the Committee Interest Form are due April 29.
  • The remaining spring term Faculty Senate meetings are May 12 in the Withycombe Hall Main Theatre and June 9 in the LaSells Stewart Center.
  • Nominations for awards, selected by the Faculty Recognition and Awards Committee, are due April 29. Information about these and other awards can be found online on the Awards Summary Table.
  • There will be a Sexual Harassment Workshop on April 19.
  • The university community has until April 15 to participate in a survey to determine the design of the 2005-06 hang tag parking permits - about 650 people have participated to date.
  • Responses to recommendations found in the Fixed-Term Faculty Task Force Final Report have been released by the OSU Administration.
  • Ushers are needed for the June 12 commencement; if interested, contact Jackie Balzer.
NEW BUSINESS

There was no new business.

Roll Call

Members Present:
Agricultural Sciences: Anderson, Bolte, Brewer, Coblentz, Edge, Engel, Gregory, Herring, Penner, Savage, G. Andrews for Selker, and Thompson.
Associated Faculty: Arthenayake, Barr, Beach, Corbett, Dempsey, Dorbolo, G. Bruce for Eklund, Elmshaeuser, Gillies, Hughes, Miles, Perrone, Ratchford, Rosenberg, Ross, Templeton, and J. Davis for Yahnke.
Business: LeMay, Wong, Wu, and Yang.
Education: Pehrsson and White.
Engineering: Bose, Levine, Lundy, McVicker, Mosley, Pence, Quinn and Sillars.
Extension: Filley.
Forestry: Admiral, R. Gupta for Clauson, Doescher, Erickson, Puettman and Reuter.
Health & Human Sciences: B. Platt Lauris for Asbell, Bowman, J. Ridlington for Cluskey, Grobe, Harter, Ho and Wilcox.
Liberal Arts: S. Otto for Barker, Brayman Hackel, Carson, R. Barbour for Ede, Folts, Iltis, Lunch, Melton, Oriard, S. Clough for Roberts, and Shaw.
Library: McMillen.
Oceanic & Atmospheric Sciences: Prahl.
Pharmacy: Muhmad.
ROTC: Klink.
Science: Barofsky, Brown, Evans, Giebultowicz, Lee, Mason, Matzke, McCune, McLeod, and Smythe.
Student Affairs: C. Muna for Bentley-Townlin, Empey, Etherton, Hoogesteger, Schwab, and Winter.
Veterinary Medicine: Bird and Jennings.

Members Absent:
Agricultural Sciences: Cassidy, Ciuffetti, Duncan, Fanno, Freeman, Huddleston, Jepson, Mallory-Smith, and Weber.
Associated Faculty:Christie, and Landis.
Business: Coakley.
Education: None.
Engineering: Hunter-Zaworski and Lee.
Extension: Bondi, Butler, Carr, and Hathaway.
Forestry: Tynon.
Health & Human Sciences: Widrick.
Liberal Arts: Anderson, Farber, Gross, Henderson, Kingston, and Krause.
Library: None.
Oceanic & Atmospheric Sciences: Benoit-Bird, Duncan, Levine, Torres, and Wheatcroft.
Pharmacy: Ishmael.
ROTC: None.
Science: Grunder, Ho, Horne, Jansen, Jones, Kimerling, Parks, Remcho, Ruben, Spatafora, and Taylor.
Student Affairs: Tsuneyoshi.
Veterinary Medicine: None.

Guests Present:
R. Bachman, B. Becker, B. Green, and D. McCarthy.

Faculty Senate Officers, Ex-officios and Staff:
J. Hale, Senate President; B. Boggess, President-Elect; M. Beachley, Parliamentarian; Ex-officios: K. Downey, E. Ray, and J. Trujillo; and V. Nunnemaker, Senate Staff.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:42 PM.

Respectfully submitted:
Vickie Nunnemaker
Faculty Senate Staff