skip page navigationOregon State University
OSU Home.|Calendar.|Find Someone.|Maps.|Site Index.

Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate » April 5, 2001

Faculty Senate Minutes

2001 No. 565
April 5, 2001
 

For All Faculty

The regular monthly meeting of the Faculty Senate was called to order on April 5, 2001, at 3:00 PM, in the LaSells Stewart Center by President Henry Sayre. There were no corrections to the minutes of February or March 2001.


Meeting Summary

– Action Items: Category I Proposals - Establish a new study abroad program at the University of Cantabria in Santander, Spain and eliminate the M.S. degree in Home Economics; and proposed Standing Rules changes to: Baccalaureate Core, Faculty Status, and Undergraduate Admissions Committees and Research Council [Motion 01–565–01 through 06]
– Discussion Item: Undergraduate Admissions Issue Group - V. Tolar Burton
– Special Report: Athletics - M. Barnhart, B. Frank, H. Sayre, and M. Vydra
– New Business: None


Roll Call

Members Absent With Representation:
Delson, L. Jodice; Doescher, S. Sharrow; Gonzales-Berry, B. Frank; Johnson, L. Kristick; McDaniel, L. Goddick; Middleton, B. Avery; Murphy, D. Jimmerson; Sanchez, D. Pherrson; and Shaw, R. Thompson.

Members Absent Without Representation:
Ahern, Balz, Barker, Beatty, Bliss, Braker, Bruce, Cloughesy, Collier, DeCarolis, Downing, Erickson, Gomez, Gross, Hamm, Horne, Huddleston, Jones, King, Merickel, Mosley, Mundt, Nelson, Niess, Nishihara, Pearson, Pegau, Reyes, Sanderson, Schuster, Schwab, Selker, Shaw, Smythe, Stang, Strik, Tesch, Trehu, Tynon, Wallace, Weber, and Winner.

Faculty Senate Officers, Ex-Officios and Staff Present:
H. Sayre, President; G. Matzke, Immediate Past President; M. Beachley, Parliamentarian Pro-tem; and V. Nunnemaker, Senate Staff.

Guests of the Senate:
G. Beach, M. Barnhart, F. Conway, B. Frank, L. Friedman, J. Lundy, D. Trump, and M. Vydra.


ACTION ITEMS

Category | Proposals

Leonard Friedman, Curriculum Council Chair, presented two Category I Proposals:

Establish a new study abroad program at the University of Cantabria in Santander, Spain - There was no discussion. Motion 01-565-01 passed by voice vote with no dissenting votes.

Eliminate the M.S. degree in Home Economics - There was no discussion. Motion 01-565-02 passed by voice vote with one dissenting vote.

Standing Rules Changes

Flaxen Conway, Committee on Committees Chair, presented the following proposed Standing Rules changes. All changes have been approved by both the individual committees and the Committee on Committees.

The proposed insertions are bolded and capitalized and the proposed deletions are bracketed.

Baccalaureate Core Committee

The Baccalaureate Core Committee reviews the content and appropriateness of both existing and proposed baccalaureate core courses. The committee shall conduct periodic reviews of the overall baccalaureate core program, and of existing courses within this program, to ensure that the criteria of the general education model are being met. The committee shall also evaluate proposals for additional and new courses deemed relevant to the core and stimulate proposals for additional and new courses as deemed necessary and advise faculty members in the preparation of such proposals. The committee shall consist of seven faculty and two students. Two of the faculty members shall be from the College of Liberal Arts, two from the College of Science, and three from faculty in other colleges. THE WRITING INTENSIVE CURRICULUM PROGRAM DIRECTOR AND THE DIFFERENCE, POWER, AND DISCRIMINATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR SHALL BE EX-OFFICIO, NON-VOTING MEMBERS.

A. Course Selection

(There were no changes in #1-3.)
4. All submissions that deal with writing skills must be routed to the Writing Advisory Board, which [consists of the English Department's Composition and Professional Writing Coordinators, the Director of the Communication Skills Center, and the Writing Lab Coordinator, and this Board] will consult with faculty to develop and implement proposals.
[5. All submissions that deal with perspectives and synthesis categories must be distributed to all college curriculum committees for possible consideration and comment before submission to the BCC.]

Motion 01-565-03 passed by voice vote with no dissenting votes.

Faculty Status Committee

The Faculty Status Committee examines EXISTING policies AND MAKES RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE FACULTY SENATE FOR NEW POLICIES regarding academic freedom, [and] tenure, appointment, PROMOTION, [and] termination, AND procedures for review and appeals, and [promotion, and makes recommendations to the Faculty Senate, Executive Office, Provost's Council, and Deans and Department Heads]. [It] THE COMMITTEE maintains [liaison] CONTACT with other faculty affairs committees. GENERALLY, the full Committee [typically] meets quarterly; subcommittees may meet more frequently depending on the nature of issues under consideration. The Committee is composed of nine Faculty members representing [all segments of the University] THE BROAD SPECTRUM OF FACULTY APPOINTMENTS AS IDENTIFIED IN THE FACULTY SENATE BYLAWS.

Motion 01-565-04 passed by voice vote with no dissenting votes.

Research Council

The Research Council establishes policies for matters pertaining to sponsored research activities. It promotes, stimulates, and facilitates research activity, disseminating information about availability of grant funds and procedures for applying. It assigns priorities for distribution of various internal funding programs and for external solicitations that require limited submissions from the institution. The Council consists of nine Faculty members AND FIVE ALTERNATE FACULTY MEMBERS who are selected from throughout the University. The Administrator of the Research Office, or designee, shall be a non-voting, ex-officio[, non-voting,] member of the Council. The Chair shall be a Faculty member with immediate prior experience on the Council, appointed annually by the Executive Committee. IN THE EVENT THAT A COUNCIL MEMBER IS A PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR OR CO-INVESTIGATOR OF A PROPOSAL TO BE REVIEWED BE THE COUNCIL, THE CHAIR SHALL REPLACE THE COUNCIL MEMBER WITH AN ALTERNATE AND THE ALTERNATE WILL THEN PARTICIPATE IN THE REVIEW OF ALL THE PROPOSALS BEING CONSIDERED FOR THE PARTICULAR FUNDING OPPORTUNITY.

Motion 01-565-05 passed by voice vote with no dissenting votes.

Undergraduate Admissions Committee

The Undergraduate Admissions Committee decides whether to admit any potential undergraduate applicant not meeting the stated admission requirements as established by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education and who requests consideration by the Committee. Previous academic experience, test scores, recommendations, and other criteria are reviewed in the process of determining which requests for exemptions should be approved. The Committee also serves as the focal point for discussion and review of policy changes related to undergraduate admissions and makes recommendations to the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs or Faculty Senate, as appropriate. The Committee consists of eight faculty and one student. Of the eight faculty members, there shall be at least five Teaching faculty, one college head advisor, and one representative from International [Education] PROGRAMS. All members should be available to serve during the summer since most of the committee activity, in fact, takes place during the summer. In addition, a representative from the Admission and Orientation Office shall be ex-officio, voting.

Motion 01-565-06 passed by voice vote with no dissenting votes.


DISCUSSION ITEM

Undergraduate Admissions Issue Group

Vicki Tolar Burton, Undergraduate Admissions Issue Group Chair, explained the purpose and activities of the issue group.

The issue group was created in the summer of 2000 by then Vice Provost Andy Hashimoto and spent fall and winter terms becoming educated on the research literature on admissions and understanding the current process of admissions at OSU.

The Issue Group charges were:
  • To review the research literature on admissions criteria;
  • To review the experiences of other universities re. admissions criteria;
  • To conduct research to determine if revised admission criteria will allow OSU to admit students more likely to contribute to OSU's mission, goals, and core values;
  • To conduct a campus-wide review/discussion of undergraduate admissions criteria; and
  • To develop policies that can be incorporated into a new model for admissions to OSU.
As a way to engage the university community in a discussion of the possibilities for changing admission criteria, the group is sponsoring A Symposium on Changing the Criteria for Undergraduate Admissions on May 24 from 1:30-3:00 p.m. in MU 206. Speakers have been invited from institutions that have recently instituted changes in the way they admit students. They will be discussing how their admissions criteria changed and why, what context prompted the change, what process they used, what outcomes were realized and what they learned in the process. The focus questions will include:
– Given OSU's potential for growth in enrollment, shifts in how we think about academic success, and our commitment to University goals, how should OSU change undergraduate admission criteria?
– What can we learn from the experiences of other universities that have recently changed their criteria?
The OSU community is invited to join in this symposium, learn from the speakers, and engage in the discussion of how OSU's admissions criteria might change.

Senator Esbensen, Oceanic & Atmospheric Sciences, questioned what motivated the search for a change in criteria. Tolar Burton responded that motivation included issues of diversity as well as looking at the university goals and mission.

In response to Senator Landau, Science, questioning whether the group addressed the issue of whether OSU should be growing, Tolar Burton indicated that issue was not one of their charges.

Senator Thies, Science, thought that the group would consider PASS standards. Tolar Burton responded that they did discuss PASS, but it was unclear that all schools in Oregon will participate in PASS. They did consider tracking a group of students admitted under the PASS system.


SPECIAL REPORT

Athletics

Henry Sayre, NCAA Committee member, reported on the NCAA on-site visit. Mitch Barnhart, Athletic Director, Bob Frank, OSU Institutional Athletic Representative, and Marianne Vydra, Senior Woman Administrator, provided an Athletic Department status update.

Sayre explained that the NCAA certification team was on campus from February 19-22 to interview individuals from campus and the community and to review the self-study document prepared by the University.

The following four areas were included in the self-study and all but Equity, Welfare and Sportsmanship were found to be in substantial conformity, meaning that there were no problems which would prevent certification. Recommendations by the review team are listed below:

1) Governance and Commitment to Rules Compliance - Recommendations:
– Put NCAA compliance in all letters of appointment for personnel
– Formalize responsibilities of Faculty Athletic Representative

2) Academic Integrity - Recommendation:
– Athletics' academic services should be reviewed by the Academic Advising Council

3) Fiscal Integrity - Recommendation:
– Include all funding sources including construction and OSU Foundation in review by Vice Provost for Finance and Administration (NOTE: this has already been implemented)

4) Equity, Welfare and Sportsmanship - Recommendations:
– Complete plans to renovate the women's crew locker room
– Institute a roster management program
– Complete a review of the student-athlete exit interview form
– Provide greater emotional and intellectual development opportunities for student-athletes
– Reorganize gender-equity plan and obtain institutional adoption
– Obtain institutional adoption of minority plan
The previously referenced Minority and Gender Equity Plans were distributed at the April Senate meeting and will be on the May Senate agenda for endorsement.

Immediate Past President Matzke questioned if it was just a matter of money that is preventing gender equity compliance. Barnhart responded that other components include roster management, managing walk-ons, participation, and scholarships.

Sayre introduced Bob Frank as the Institutional Athletic Representative and noted that he oversees academic integrity.

Frank's report on issues related to the NCAA graduation rates included:
– The 43% graduation rate includes all students who enroll, including those who transfer prior to graduation.
– The OSU graduation rate of student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility is about 90%. He noted that changes in coaching staffs can significantly affect graduation rates.
– The academic performance summary for student-athletes was an overall 2.89 gpa for winter 2001 which is the highest average since 1992.
– In the area of football, two-thirds who have exhausted their eligibility are on track to graduate.
Frank reported on several NCAA issues being discussed:
– The Knight report has created an impetus for increased involvement by presidents and chancellors.
– The graduation rate of mens basketball has become a focus of attention. Players will now take 6-9 credits during the summer to determine if this approach will make a difference in graduation rates.
– All sports, except basketball, would allow high school students to receive financial aid.
Frank also reported that the conference is divided as to whether student-athletes (with the exception of basketball) should be allowed to play professional sports and then participate in college sports. It is proposed that each year played as a professional would count as a year of college eligibility.

While introducing Mitch Barnhart, President Sayre indicated that the certification process was as successful as it was due to the integrity of Barnhart.

Barnhart observed that it has been an interesting year and he is proud of the accomplishments. He noted that OSU has the smallest staff in the PAC-10 and manages 505 student-athletes, including walk-ons, in 15 sports.

Barnhart mentioned these areas in particular:
1) The exemplary way in which the athletes represent OSU - Out of 29 student-athlete seniors in the sport of football, 28 are on scholarship and 23 are on track to graduate. He recounted the letter received from the Scottsdale Plaza (where the Fiesta Bowl players were lodged) stated that OSU players were the best behaved in their 13 years of hosting bowl game teams.

2) Finances:
– Football season ticket sales are up from 4,200 to 19,000.
– Beaver Athletic Scholarship Fund (BASF) - Expected to receive $800-900,000 in unrestricted funds for a total of over $3 million this year. The donor base has grown from 3,000 to over 7,000 members.
– Barnhart explained the financial break-down of the Fiesta Bowl. Since OSU is a member of a conference, out of the $13 million, $6.5 million comes to the conference and is divided among the 10 institutions in the conference. This resulted in about $350-500,000 coming to OSU. He noted that if two teams from the same conference are in bowl games, the conference only receives one-half of the revenue.
– Significant progress is being made toward working down the facility debt. There is also the possibility of some additional sponsorships in the near future.
Barnhart mentioned the two new sports facilities currently under construction:
– The new softball complex is nearly complete.
– The indoor practice facility will benefit seven teams which will allow quality workouts during the rainy season and result in healthier student-athletes. He noted that 15 private donors contributed $13 million for the two facilities.
Competitiveness allows the program to move forward and be successful. Out of 15 teams last year, 8 advanced to NCAA post-season play and there is a possibility of 10-11 advancing to post-season play this year. Barnhart explained that most student-athletes compete for the love of the sport since only 220 of 505 are on full or partial scholarship.

Vydra expressed her appreciation of faculty who take the time to assist student-athletes. A task force has been formed to review and assist the Athletic Department in implementing both the Gender Equity and Minority Plans. Faculty are encouraged to contact Lynda Wolfenbarger in Athletics if they are interested in serving on the task force.

She noted that every faculty member is capable of mentoring students of color and invited faculty to do so. Students of color look to faculty for answers, caring, and understanding and Vydra challenged faculty to form a partnership with those students.

Senator Plaza, Liberal Arts, questioned how partnerships can be formed between faculty and coaches. Vydra responded that coaches have expressed concern about this issue and they are exploring ways for faculty to meet one-on-one with coaches or in an organized setting. Barnhart stated that faculty are welcome to attend the monthly head coaches meeting.

Immediate Past President Matzke expressed concern about frequent absences of softball team members, in particular. Vydra explained that the NCAA requires a minimum number of contests. She also mentioned that there is a trade-off when teams are successful, which requires additional travel. She stated that an academic person is often sent with the teams to assist with their course work. Barnhart noted that, unfortunately, with our rainy weather, it means that teams must travel quite a bit. Frank reported that there is a growing national discussion of limiting the required number of contests.

Matzke questioned the OSU Foundation, Inc. priorities that include athletics and engineering and asked what those priorities mean to the Athletic Department. Barnhart noted that the priorities were set by the Development Council and didn't know how the priorities were affecting overall fundraising. Senator Landau, Science, noted that, in better times, money from academics has helped student-athletes in the past, but he isn't aware of any fundraising money being returned to academics and questioned if it was time for that to happen. Barnhart responded that fundraising by the OSU Foundation has been very successful, but he doesn't know how the money is appropriated. He mentioned that Athletics and the Foundation have created a partnership where the Foundation will have use of the entire Valley Football Center to be used for fundraising activities during home football games beginning fall 2001. He explained that a great deal of effort is required on the part of the Athletic Department fundraising team to be successful in their fundraising efforts. He felt that donors want to see the departmental/college leadership making the contacts and it takes the head person being on the road, as he was recently for three weeks, to be successful at fundraising. Barnhart noted that there is a large, untapped donor pool out there if people are willing to take the time and effort to find them.


INFORMATION ITEMS

– IFS, AOF, AAUP Joint Meeting - The joint meeting will be held Saturday, April 7 in the CH2M HILL Alumni Center. The meeting is scheduled between 8:00 AM and noon.

– Committee Interest Forms - The forms for University and Faculty Senate committees have been distributed and are due back in the Faculty Senate Office April 13.

– University Accreditation Recommendations - A summary of recommendations from the on-site evaluation committee conducting the University accreditation effort will be presented from 11:30- noon on April 20 in the Valley Library Rotunda, fourth floor; the meeting is open to all faculty, staff and students.

– Undergraduate Admissions Issue Group - The Issue Group will present A Symposium on Changing the Criteria for Undergraduate Admissions on May 24 from 1:30-3:00 PM in MU 206.

– On April 12 there will be a legislative panel in the MU Lounge beginning at 6:30 PM.


REPORT FROM & DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT

President Sayre reported that, due to television network accommodations, the OSU/UO Civil War football game had been changed to the Saturday prior to finals week during fall 2001. This change was reviewed by several administrators prior to finalization but no one realized that finals week would be a full week earlier than normal (the first week of December). Sayre noted that he has been in contact with the UO Faculty Senate President Jim Earl and a joint resolution will be presented to the Senate in May asking both athletic departments to pay more attention to the academic calendar.

He also reported that Earl is contacting all PAC-10 Faculty Senates with the idea of de-emphasizing college sports. Sayre suggested that it is time that faculty supported having all PAC-10 Faculty Senates recommend to their respective institutional presidents that they discuss slowing the growth of athletics. This would be a symbolic gesture on behalf of faculties. Sayre encouraged faculty to read the article by Myles Brand found on the web at: http://www.indiana.edu/president/ speeches/press_club.html.

Senator Flahive, Science, questioned if there is any back-up plan for OUS to contribute funds to the branch campus; and if the answer is no, does OSU have a postponement or exit clause. Sayre responded that OSU money is not being spent in Bend. If the Legislature does not fund the branch campus at $7.2 million, the branch campus cannot go forward. In response to the second question, Sayre indicated that the Chancellor understands that OSU is spending money now and he feels that OUS is liable too. The biggest issue is the lease on the building which is $600,000 per year. There is a commitment to not damaging OSU in order to move forward in Bend.

On a budget note, Senator Sorte (Agricultural Sciences) encouraged faculty to talk with legislators regarding the budget. Sayre noted that legislators appear to respond more positively if they feel that a student issue is being discussed versus a faculty issue.


NEW BUSINESS

There was no new business.


Meeting was adjourned at 4:52 PM.

Respectfully submitted:

Vickie Nunnemaker
Faculty Senate Staff