skip page navigationOregon State University
OSU Home.|Calendar.|Find Someone.|Maps.|Site Index.

Faculty Senate

Faculty Senate » November 6, 1997

Faculty Senate Minutes

1997 No. 533
November 6, 1997
 
For All Faculty
The meeting was called to order at 3:00 pm by President Anthony Wilcox. President Wilcox thanked Robert Iltis for serving as Parliamentarian. There were no corrections to the June or October minutes.
Meeting Summary
  • Special Report: Curt Pederson
  • Action Items: Approval of 1998 Apportionment Table; Faculty Senate Nominations/Elections; and Ballot Counting Committee Formation [Motion 97-533-01]
  • New Business: None

Roll Call
Members Absent With Representation:
Acock, A. Zvonkovic; Collier, G. Smith; Graham, J. Drexler; J. Lee, B. Burton; Leichti, C. Brunner; Neumann, D. Champeau; Schowalter, D. Myrold; van der Mars, B. Cusimano; and Wander, C. Raab.

Members Absent Without Representation:
Balz, Burke, Cheeke, Christie, Cowles, Dodrill, P. Farber, Farnsworth, Fletcher, Frank, Fritzell, Hathaway, Hu, Ingham, Jenkins, Johnson, Jones, Kellogg, Leong, Lomax, Madsen, Manogue, McAlexander, Miller, A. Mix, G. Pearson, Prucha, Putnam, Randhawa, Rodriguez, Savage, Tiger, Torres, and Williams.

Faculty Senate Officers/Staff Present:
T. Wilcox, President; R. Iltis, Parliamentarian protem; and V. Nunnemaker, Senate Administrative Assistant.

Guests of the Senate:
L. Burns, K. Butcher, J. Corbett, S. Francis, A. Hashimoto, and D. Johnson.

SPECIAL REPORTS

INFORMATION SERVICES

During the introduction of Mr. Pederson, President Wilcox announced he had appointed a Senate committee to investigate the Information Services deficit and provide input to the expenditure reduction proposal.

Curt Pederson, Associate Provost for Information Services, talked about the deficit in Information Services (IS), the proposal to reduce expenditures, and fielded questions.

Pederson explained that IS was able to accumulate such a large deficit, in part, because there was an overall IS budget for the entire unit. One measure which has been taken to reduce the likelihood of this occurring again is that each unit within IS will have their own budget for which they are responsible.

Pederson reported that IS is on track with their expenditure reduction plan. One area that has received a lot of attention is the elimination of the modem pool, which costs OSU about $200,000 per year to operate. He explained the need to manage access for OSU use, but also noted that there are other services available in the community that individuals could subscribe to for access. The reduction plan is still in the discussion phase and a committee, headed by Chuck Sears, has been formed to study alternatives.

He also reported that he is working with Caroline Kerl, Legal Advisor, on an acceptable use policy.

Senator Drexler, Business, questioned how this deficit could have gone undetected for two years. Pederson responded that there were a few flags raised, but the magnitude of the problem was not understood.

Senator Gamble, Science, asked where does one begin to recover the $5.7 million deficit. Pederson replied that it's necessary to research the background, find facts, and propose changes which include: developing a plan to be followed by managers and an oversight committee, laying off some employees, reducing expenditures, and not renewing some contracts.

When questioned about proposals to cut into services needed by students and faculty, particularly in the library area, Pederson noted that 85% of the yearly $15 million IS budget is dedicated to firm commitments. The library received a disproportionate amount of the cut because it has the largest amount of discretionary money; the book purchasing budget is part of the discretionary amount.

In response to Senator Coakley questioning how to answer students who can't get access to computing facilities, Pederson explained that there are currently 200 modems and seven lines available and the cost to add additional access is prohibitive. He noted that the modem pool is available, but there are peak times when it is difficult to access. He emphasized that the modem pool will not be discontinued without alternatives. Pederson has requested that an accounting of student fees be prepared to determine usage. He felt it was necessary to have more student and campus involvement to ascertain how technology fees are and should be used.

In response to Senator Daley, Agricultural Sciences, asking about alternatives to modems, Pederson indicated that there are local internet providers who could be contracted with to provide services. Daley also questioned whether the money spent leading to the deficit was productive. Pederson stated that the money was not frittered away. The spending resulted in student upgrades, wiring dorms for computer access, developing web services, and paying for highspeed electronic access. As a result of improvements to the infrastructure, OSU was recognized as number one in a benchmark study.

In response to the proposal to reduce the library budget, Senator Gamble felt that the library is the most important thing on this campus - it is the heart of any solid university.

Karyle Butcher, Valley Library, reported that the library will experience cuts in staff, services and supplies, and the monograph budgets to help reduce the IS deficit. She related that the book budget would have been cut this year whether or not there was an overexpenditure since electronic services are cutting into the library budget.

Additional factors negatively impacting the budget were Ballot Measures 5 and 47. She noted that student help and supplies and materials account for the largest portion of the budget. Butcher explained that the State budgeted for a 10% increase to OSSHE libraries, which amounted to $257,000 for OSU. However, this money was allocated directly to the deficit reduction plan and not available to use for new materials. The library has applied for $135,000 from the Technology Resource Fee fund. Another consideration to reduce expenditures and move more money into the monograph budget would be to not fill staff positions next year.

The Valley Library is looking at ways to achieve joint purchasing which may involve joining the ORBIS Consortia. Participation would allow them to request materials from 12 other institutions that currently belong to the system. The money to join would come from an endowment fund.

Senator Krane, Science, urged protection of monographs and serials and delaying other IS projects. Butcher responded that there is a $100,000 endowment for journals, but that only the interest can be used.

Senator Williamson, Engineering, felt there was a justice issue involved since the library didn't cause the deficit, but they're being required to repay the largest amount. Butcher agreed that this was true, but the library-and their budget-combined with other units as a result of the KPMG recommendations a few years ago. They are now being told that, as a part of IS, they are part of the unit that caused the deficit and must help to repay the amount.

Senator Oriard, Liberal Arts, expressed the feeling that technology is providing services for which a fee can be charged, and generating revenue that way would be preferable to reducing the library budget.

ACTION ITEMS

APPROVAL OF THE 1998 APPORTIONMENT TABLE

For the first year, Faculty Senate apportionment was determined by a combination of 75% FTE and 25% student credit hour and a cap of 132 Senators was imposed.

OSU faculty FTE in the ranks of Instructor or above, including Professional Faculty, Research Associates, and all Faculty Research Assistants as of October 23, 1997, together with student credit hours apportioned to individual units, resulted in 23.21 FTE/Senator and 16,079 SCH/Senator.

Motion 5339701 to approve the apportionment table passed by voice vote with one dissenting vote.

FACULTY SENATE NOMINATIONS/ELECTIONS

Ken Krane, Bylaws & Nominations Chair, presented the slate of nominees for elected positions:

President-elect - Nominees recommended were: Robin Rose (Associate Professor, Forest Science) and Ken Williamson (Professor, Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering).

Executive Committee - Nominees recommended were: James Foster (Professor and Chair, Political Science), Mark Kramer (Professional Faculty, Associate Director of Communication Media Center), Phyllis Lee (Professional Faculty, Director of Office of Multicultural Affairs), Gordon Matzke (Professor, Geography), Mary Prucha (Professional Faculty, Coordinator of Graduate Services, Graduate School) and Sandra Woods (Associate Professor, Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering).

Interinstitutional Faculty Senate Representative - Nominees recommended were: Jonathan King (Associate Professor, Management, Marketing and International Business) and Antonio Torres (Associate Professor, Food Science and Technology).

There were no nominations from the floor for any position; the nominations for each position were declared closed.

Election materials for Presidentelect and the IFS representative will be sent the week of November 10 to all eligible voters and the Executive Committee election will be determined by Senators during the December 4 Senate meeting.

BALLOT COUNTING COMMITTEE

In response to President Wilcox requesting a Ballot Counting Committee to count Presidentelect and IFS representative ballots, the following volunteered: Tracy Bentley, John Morris, and Rebecca Sanderson. Ballots will be counted at 1:30 on December 3 and results announced at the December 4 Faculty Senate meeting.

ANNUAL REPORTS

The following annual reports were included in the agenda:
  • Promotion and Tenure Committee
  • Student Recognition and Awards Committee
Reports still outstanding from the 1996-97 academic year are:

Academic Advising Council - Linda Johnson, Chair
Academic Standing Committee - Marianne Vydra, Chair

INFORMATION ITEMS

  • A recap of the October IFS meeting was distributed via email.
  • Included in the agenda was a summary of Senator representation by apportionment unit for 1996/97. Representation summaries by individual Senator is available for viewing in the Faculty Senate Office, the Valley Library Reserve Book Room, or from the heads of all apportionment units.
  • Senator nomination and election instructions have been sent to the heads of all apportionment units.
  • The January 8, 1998, Faculty Senate meeting and New Senator Orientation will be held in the Valley Football Center.
REPORTS FROM THE PROVOST

Associate Provost Hashimoto represented the Provost and reported on the following items:

Search Updates:
  • Vice President for University Advancement - Orcilia Zuniga Forbes will begin January 1.
  • Vice Provost for Research - The university is currently in conversation with Dr. Toby Hayes.
  • Engineering Dean - Three candidates are being interviewed.
  • Director of Athletics - The search committee has been announced.
Student enrollment and its impact on budgets -

Hashimoto compared 1996 and 1997 enrollment figures as of week 4:

* Enrollment Category *

New Admits (High School): +160; +8.8% (Total = 1,984)
New Admits (Transfers): 204; 10.2% (Total = 1,790)
Other: +343; +2.5% (Total = 10,353)
1997 Total: 14,127

* Class Designation *

Undergraduate: +388; +3.5% (Total = 11,484)
Graduate: 44; 1.7% (Total = 2,571)
FirstProfessional: 1; 1.4% (Total = 72)
1997 Total: 14,127

* 1996-97 Enrollment *

Term FTE % of Fall FTE
Fall 1996 12,343 100
Winter 1997 12,007 97
Spring 1997 11,129 90
Average 11,826 95.8
Fall 1997 FTE = 12,708

Hashimoto noted that increased enrollment equates to increased budget allocations and reminded Senators that one student is equal to $8,600.

In response to Senator Krane asking if there was a way of knowing whether unsuccessful applicants to the University Honors College are coming to OSU or going elsewhere, Hashimoto indicated it would be worthwhile to track this information.

Senator Wrolstad, Agricultural Sciences, noted that there needs to be more effort put into improving graduate student enrollment. Senator Woods, Engineering, also felt that faculty need to be encouraged to promote graduate students.

REPORTS FROM THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT

President Wilcox reported on the following items:
  • One of the initiatives presented by President Risser related to curricular review and involved reviewing majors and minors. The intent was to involve practitioners or external advisory groups in reviewing program curricula. The Department of Chemistry has recently completed this type of review and will be sharing their process during upcoming sessions to help other units with their review. It is not intended that units universally perform a major curriculum overhaul.
  • The Budgets and Fiscal Planning Committee Chair has been added as a member of the Athletic Advisory Committee.


NEW BUSINESS

Bill Oye, Student Affairs, made available a handout dealing with the topics of 'Academic Dishonesty,' 'Classroom Disruption,' and 'Civility and Honesty.' This was a followup on a previous report to the Faculty Senate.

Meeting was adjourned at 5:08.

Respectfully submitted:
Vickie Nunnemaker Faculty Senate Administrative Assistant