February 27, 2003
- Discussion with Julia Blixrud from the Association of Research Libraries
- Finalizing statement about centrality of libraries to university
I will move that we accept the following statement, having altered it in light of
feedback from some committee members. We can entertain minor alterations
if needed, but should probably move on to other topics.
"The library gives meaning to the very word "university," connecting OSU to the universe of
learning, even as it supports and builds our very sense of an OSU community. In so doing,
the library enables the university to achieve its central purpose: the discovery and dissemination
of knowledge. The library is a profoundly democratic space in the university where information
is available to all, whether users are students walking the stacks or researchers searching the
catalogs online. As the heart of the university, the library is both a central place on campus
for scholarly exchange and an engine that powers that exchange as the university pursues its
mission to serve the state of Oregon."
- Update on request from Bruce Sorte that this committee help prepare materials for
negotiating with current administration on implementing and re-implementing
the resolutions passed by Faculty Senate in Spring 2002:
- moving library out of Information Services and recognize it as an academic unit
- having library represented at "Dean" level by University Librarian
- needing OSU to invest more in library
- Review of library's current budget, if available.
- Remaining Winter and Spring term meetings