Note: Simply clicking "Print" in your browser will result in a "Printer Friendly" version of the agenda.
FACULTY SENATE AGENDA
- Thursday, November 13, 2008
- 3:00-5:00 PM
- Construction & Engineering Hall
- LaSells Stewart Center
The agenda for the November Senate meeting will include the reports and other
items of business listed below.
- Approval of Minutes
Approval of the October Faculty Senate minutes.
- Approval of the 2009 Apportionment Table
The 2009 Faculty Senate Apportionment Table (consisting of OSU FTE in the ranks of Instructor and above, including Professional Faculty and Faculty Research Assistants and Associates) will be presented for approval.
- Faculty Senate Nominations and Elections
Bill Boggess, Bylaws and Nominations Committee co-chair, will present for approval the 2008 Slate of Candidates for: Senate President-Elect, three new members of the Executive Committee (EC), and one Interinstitutional Faculty Senate (IFS) Senator. The President-Elect serves for one year, and then automatically assumes the presidency of the Faculty Senate; EC members serve two-year terms; and IFS terms are three years. Nominations will be taken from the floor; however, the nominator must obtain, in advance, the nominee's willingness to serve if elected.
- Ballot Counting Committee
Three volunteers and two alternates are needed to assist in verifying the election results for the President-Elect and IFS ballots on December 10 from 1:30-3:30; President Ciuffetti will ask for volunteers from the floor.
Academic Success and Engagement
Susie Brubaker-Cole, Associate Provost for Academic Success and Engagement, will discuss the Student Success and Engagement Initiative.
Provost Sabah Randhawa and Chris Bell, Chair of the OSU Implementation Team for INTO-OSU, will provide an update regarding INTO planning.
- President-Elect, Executive Committee and IFS Elections
As provided in the Senate Bylaws, (Article VI, Section 3) and amended on October 6, 1977, "additional nominations may be made from the floor and the nominations shall be closed." The Executive Committee requires that if such nominations from the floor are made, the nominator must obtain, in advance, the nominee's willingness to serve if elected.
The University-wide election of the President-Elect and IFS Senator will be conducted between November 17 and December 9. Ballots will be distributed to all eligible voting members of the OSU faculty, in accordance with current Faculty Senate Bylaws. Voting must be completed no later than 5:00 PM on December 9 and results will be verified by the Counting Committee prior to the December 11 Faculty Senate meeting. The individual receiving the highest number of votes will be declared the winner in each of the elections.
Election of new members of the Executive Committee will be conducted by written ballot at the December 11 Faculty Senate meeting. Those candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be elected. Tie votes shall be resolved by written ballot in a run-off election.
- Instructions for Nomination and Election of Faculty Senators
Upon receipt of all materials, and approval of the apportionment table, the Faculty Senate Office annually transmits Senatorial nomination and election instructions to the head of each voting unit; a sample letter is available for viewing.
- Faculty on 1039-Hour Appointments
Retired Faculty Senators whose terms extend beyond December 31, but whose 1039-hour appointments terminate fall term, are no longer eligible to serve as a Senator. If you fall into this category, please contact the Faculty Senate Office at email@example.com so a replacement can be identified to complete the remainder of your term.
Faculty whose Senate committee/council terms extend beyond December 31, but whose 1039-hour appointments terminate fall term, are no longer eligible to continue serving. If you are not filling a specified emeritus/retired position on the committee/council on which you serve, or if you are unsure, please contact the Faculty Senate Office so a determination may be made and/or a replacement identified.
- State of the University Address
President Ray’s 2008 State of the University Address may be accessed online at http://oregonstate.edu/leadership/president/state_university_address2008.html.
- Category I Approval
The campus community should take appropriate action to update their records to reflect the following change:
- The M.S., M.M.P., and Ph.D., in Medical Physics, in the department of Nuclear Engineering and Health Physics, was approved by the Faculty Senate on May 12th, 2007 and by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education on September 5th, 2008.
- Awards Solicitation
The Faculty Recognition and Awards Committee is accepting nominations for the below awards; for further information, contact Vickie Nunnemaker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OSU Honorary Doctorate Award – This award recognizes individuals who have distinguished themselves in their selected areas of endeavor and are recognized for their eminence as national and international leaders and models. Criteria and nomination information is available online at http://oregonstate.edu/dept/senate/awards/nom/hd/. Nominations are due December 18, 2008.
- OSU Distinguished Service Award – This award recognizes individuals or organizations who have made exceptional contributions or who have rendered unusual service to society. Criteria and nomination information is available online at http://oregonstate.edu/senate/awards/nom/dsa/. Nominations are due December 18, 2008.
- Information regarding the below awards is available online at http://oregonstate.edu/senate/awards/nom/; nominations will be accepted through February 27, 2009.
- Richard M. Bressler Senior Faculty Teaching Award
- International Service Award
- D. Curtis Mumford Faculty Service Award
- OSU Academic Advising Award
- OSU Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award
- OSU Extended Education Faculty Achievement Award
- OSU Faculty Teaching Excellence Award
- OSU Professional Faculty Excellence Award
- Outstanding Faculty Research Assistant Award
- Dar Reese Excellence in Advising Award
- Elizabeth P. Ritchie Distinguished Professor Award
- Student Learning and Success Teamwork Award
REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE PROVOST
Sabah Randhawa, Provost & Executive Vice President
REPORT FROM AND DIALOG WITH THE FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT
President Lynda Ciuffetti
IN ORDER TO PROPERLY RECORD MINUTES OF THE SENATE MEETING,
ALL SENATORS ARE REMINDED TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES
AND THEIR SENATE AFFILIATION WHEN RISING TO SPEAK.
Please recycle printed agendas.