Office for Commercialization and Corporate Development (OCCD)
VIP - Venture Internship Program
To Apply contact Berry Treat
541-737-8100 or Berry.Treat@oregonstate.edu
The Venture Internship Program (VIP) is designed to give hands on experience researching the commercialization potential of business concepts originating from the Oregon State University community. As a student intern you will take part in a variety of tasks needed to screen and market technologies and business concepts for potential commercial use.
- Admission to pro-school or graduate level standing
- A “world perspective” which combines analytical abilities and business experience with the aptitude to apply these skills to emerging technology
- Ability to comprehend novel business models and technologies, understand and clearly describe their essential attributes and distinguishing factors
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research abilities
- Strong communication skills- verbally and in written form
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Ability to communicate professionally through email, documents, in person and over the phone.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge of finance, accounting, marketing or other specific business disciplines
- Background in a specific technical field- including for example, an undergraduate STEM degree
- Familiarity with IT systems, web design, database management, etc
- Experience and demonstrated success working on self directed projects
- Previous work experience in a technical or business capacity
Description of Duties:
- Research intellectual property landscape and potential patentability of new technologies, and business concepts ideas. This may include the following tasks:
- Review invention disclosures
- Screen intellectual property and conduct patent searches
- Communicate with Faculty, Staff, OCCD Staff and Mentors on a variety of projects
- Research the business viability of technologies and intellectual property
- Perform market surveys, market research and industry analysis of competition
- Research costing and prepare performance comparisons of similar technologies
- Research and prepare preliminary financial estimates of manufacturing costs
- Create briefs which will contain the following:
- An overall summary of a technology or business concept
- Benefits of the technology or business concept as compared to alternative approaches
- Novel applications and markets for proposed technologies and business concepts
- For concepts that show promise for commercialization, create a more detailed financial analysis and business plan
- Work with the OSU Venture Accelerator staff and Office for Commercialization and Corporate Development (OCCD) on various projects to facilitate the transfer of innovations to market
- Communicate this knowledge professionally through presentations, written documents and verbal methods.
Working Environment and Hours:
- Intern will be a one of approximately eight graduate and undergraduate interns.
- Interns will be compensated for up to 40 hours /wk during the summer, and up to 10 hours/wk during the school term.
- Work will be completed under the direction of Accelerator and/or OCCD staff.
- Interns will be required to participate in a one to two week training session, beginning on or around 6/17/13, to be held on the OSU campus.
- A common work area will be provided for some office work. However since many of the responsibilities involve independent research, it is expected that interns may frequently work off site.
- Since many projects will involve confidential information and interns may have access to detailed “pre-disclosure” technologies prior to patent filing, they will be required to sign Non-disclosure agreements as a condition of employment