• What is the Institutional Review Board (IRB)?
• What is the IRB’s FWA number?
• What does the IRB look for when reviewing an application?
• Do I need IRB review if my study is not funded?
• Who can be a Principal Investigator (PI)?
• What are the PI’s responsibilities?
• Why does the IRB need a copy of my grant or contract?
• Does “exempt” mean that my study doesn’t need IRB review?
• What is the definition of minimal risk?
• Where and how long should the study-related documents be stored after my study is closed?
• What are some common mistakes that I should avoid?
• How do I know whether my consent form is written at a level that study subjects will understand?
• How can I reduce the reading level or increase the reading ease of my consent document?
• What do I need to know about informed consent?
• When should I list collaborators as study team members?
• How does SurveyMonkey adhere to IRB guidelines?
• How do I complete the enrollment table in the continuing review application and final report forms?
• Does evaluation require IRB review?
• What is the Impact of Mandatory Reporting Legislation on IRB-approved Research?
• What do I need to know before enrolling in a research study?
• The sponsoring agency wants to see that the study has IRB approval prior to releasing funds, but I haven't finished developing my study yet. What should I do?
• What do I do if a research participant tells me about an experience with sexual harassment or sexual violence?
Office of Research Integrity (ORI) home
Conflict of Interest (COI)
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Research Office home
Office for Commercialization and Corporate Development
Office of Research Integrity
Office of Sponsored Programs
Resources for Industry