Express Review of Exempt Studies
Studies meeting the definition of “exempt” can be reviewed and acknowledged in person during a meeting with the IRB staff. This in-person review by-passes the usual electronic review process, thus enabling the review of your protocol to take place immediately. EXPRESS REVIEW may be used for both initial applications and project revisions.
Please note that Express Review is not a guarantee that an Exempt Determination will be issued. It is recommended that your timeline include a buffer between the Express Review appointment and the anticipated start of your research, in the event that revisions are required to obtain an Exemption.
If all required changes are made during this meeting, all required elements of the submission are present, and there are no missing documents, researchers can expect to leave these meetings with an exempt determination and permission to initiate their research the same day.
This service is open to all researchers, including students, but the Principal Investigator must attend the meeting. Submissions cannot be fully processed unless the Principal Investigator attends the meeting. In the event that there are student researchers on the project and the PI is unable to attend the meeting, students are encouraged to take advantage of the IRB’s weekly student advising hours. EXPRESS REVIEW may take place via online video conferencing for researchers who do not work or attend classes on the Corvallis campus. Please contact the IRB Administrator directly for additional options if an exception to these arrangements is necessary.
How to prepare for EXPRESS REVIEW
Training. Complete the online ethics training.
Review Level. Complete the Review Level Worksheet to determine whether your study meets the definition of “exempt” research. If, during the course of the meeting, the IRB staff determines that your study is not exempt, your study will have to go through the usual queue and be assigned to an IRB member for review.
Draft Documents. Draft all required documents.
This will always include:
Depending on the study, these documents may also include:
- recruitment materials
- eligibility screening guide
- consent documents
- letters of support or permission from research sites when appropriate
- external IRB approval letters and/or individual investigator agreement(s) if one or more of the study team members is not affiliated with OSU. As this particular aspect of review can require internal and external signatures, it may result in delays. Please contact the IRB staff at least one week prior to the review date if you have external collaborators.
- test instruments (e.g., surveys, questionnaires, interview guides)
- any other materials to be used in the course of the study or seen by participants
Review by Principal Investigator. It is essential that the Principal Investigator review all of the documents prior to the meeting and make any necessary adjustments.
Call. Call the EXPRESS REVIEW scheduling hotline to make the appointment: (541) 737-8008. Appointments will not exceed 30 minutes, so please come prepared. The IRB staff has reserved time for these reviews Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays.
Email.Email all draft documents and the completed Express Review Checklist to the IRB by 5:00 PM the business day before Monday and Thursday reviews and by 12:00 PM the business day before Wednesday reviews. “EXPRESS REVIEW” must appear in the subject line of the email.
What to bring to the meeting
- Computer. Laptop or other portable computer that will enable you to edit, finalize, and email the IRB your documents during the meeting. The email of the final submission must come directly from the Principal Investigator’s address.
- Draft documents. An electronic draft of all required documents for review.