Undergraduate Research and Mentoring in the Biological Sciences (URM)
The Incentive Funds Program in the Research Office is requesting Letters of Intent for the National Science Foundation – Undergraduate Research and Mentoring in the Biological Sciences (URM) program.
Research Office Letter of Intent submission deadline: Monday, January 17, 2011
Information: Debbie Delmore at firstname.lastname@example.org or (541) 737-8390
The program limits to one (1) the number of proposals that can be submitted by Oregon State University.
In an effort to provide the highest level of excellence and viability for funding, a review process will be put in place if more than one proposal is submitted. The finalist will be asked to represent Oregon State University and to submit their proposal to the NSF-URM program.
The goal of the Undergraduate Research and Mentoring in the Biological Sciences (URM) program is to increase the number and diversity of individuals pursuing graduate studies in all areas of biological research supported by the NSF Directorate for Biological Sciences. Support will be provided to academic institutions to establish innovative programs to engage undergraduates in a year-round research and mentoring activity. Particular emphasis will be placed on broadening participation of members of groups historically underrepresented in science and engineering: African Americans, Alaska Natives, American Indians, Hispanic Americans, Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders, and persons with disabilities.
NSF Full Proposal Deadline: March 1, 2011
Guidance for preparation of Letter of Intent to the Research Office:
- Title of Project
- Project Description
- Statement of intellectual merit
- Statement of anticipated broader impacts
- Describe the program goals, types of research projects involved, and program activities, including plans for recruitment, selection and retention of students
- Number of students and the length of time students will be engaged in the program
- Expected outcomes
- Budget being requested from NSF
- Letters on intent are limited to five (5) pages
- Be submitted electronically as a MSWord or PDF document to: email@example.com