EarthScope – SAFOD Management Office (SMO)
The Research Office, Incentive Programs is requesting letters of intent for the National Science Foundation (NSF) - EarthScope - SAFOD Management Office (SMO) Program.
Research Office Letter of Intent submission deadline:
Monday, August 13, 2012 by 5:00 PM
EarthScope is an Earth science program to explore the four-dimensional structure of the North American continent. The EarthScope Program provides a framework for broad, integrated studies across the Earth sciences, including research on fault properties and the earthquake process, strain transfer, magmatic and hydrous fluids in the crust and mantle, plate boundary processes, large-scale continental deformation, continental structure and evolution, and composition and structure of the deep Earth. In addition, EarthScope offers a centralized forum for Earth Science education at all levels and an excellent opportunity to develop cyberinfrastructure to integrate, distribute, and analyze diverse data sets.
The EarthScope Facility, consisting of the Plate Boundary Observatory (PBO), the San Andreas Fault Observatory at Depth (SAFOD), and USArray, is a multi-purpose array of instruments and observatories that greatly expands the observational capabilities of the Earth sciences and permits us to advance our understanding of the structure, evolution, and dynamics of the North American continent.
This solicitation invites single or collaborative proposals for a new SAFOD Management Office (SMO). The SMO will ensure that SAFOD is operated, managed, and maintained in a manner that facilitates ongoing use of SAFOD for independent PI-driven Earth science research.
Limit Summary: One Proposal per Organization
In an effort to provide the highest level of excellence and viability for funding, a review process will be put in place if more than one proposal is submitted. The finalist will be asked to represent Oregon State University and to submit their proposal to the NSF – EarthScope SMO program by the NSF deadline of September 24, 2012.
Information: Debbie Delmore at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-737-8390
Guidance for preparation of Letter of Intent to the Research Office:
- Title of Project
- NSF Program Title
- PI/Co-PI, Department, and College
- Project Description
- Scientific, technical, and managerial qualifications to operate SAFOD
- Management and organizational structure for SMO
- Plans for implementing and monitoring compliance with relevant risk management practices, environmental regulations, and health and safety requirements.
- Detailed budget being requested from NSF – limit one page
- Standard NSF style biosketch for PI (limit two pages)
- Letters of Intent are limited to six pages (including budget and biosketch, single spaced, 12 pt. font)
- Submit electronically as a MSWord or PDF document to: email@example.com