Mid-Scale Innovations Program in Astronomical Sciences (MSIP)
The Research Office, Incentive Programs is requesting Letters of Intent for the National Science Foundation (NSF) – Mid-Scale Innovations Program in Astronomical Sciences (MSIP).
Research Office Letter of Intent submission deadline:
Monday, August 12, 2013 by 5:00 PM
Synopsis of Program:
A vigorous Mid-Scale Innovations Program (MSIP) was recommended by the 2010 Astronomy and Astrophysics Decadal Survey, citing “many highly promising projects for achieving diverse and timely science.” As described in this solicitation, the Division of Astronomical Sciences will establish a new mid-scale program to support a variety of astronomical activities within a cost range up to $40M. This program will be formally divided into four subcategories: 1) limited term self-contained science projects; 2) longer term mid-scale facilities; 3) development investments for future mid-scale and large-scale projects; and 4) community open access capabilities. The MSIP will emphasize both strong scientific merit and a well-developed plan for student training and involvement of a diverse and inclusive workforce in instrumentation, facility development, or data management.
Limit on Number of Proposals per Organization: 3
A single organization may submit a maximum of three preliminary proposals as the lead institution. Full proposals are to be submitted only when invited by NSF, and no more than two invitations will be issued to a single organization.
In an effort to provide the highest level of excellence and viability for funding, a review process will be put in place if more than three proposals are submitted. The finalists will be asked to represent Oregon State University and to submit their proposals to the NSF - MSIP program by the NSF deadline of September 16, 2013.
Information: Mary Phillips at email@example.com or (541) 737-8390
Guidance for preparation of Letters of Intent to the Research Office:
- Title of Project
- NSF Program Title
- PI/Co-PI, Department and College
- Project description, including the following:
- Statement of which of the four categories of MSIP is most appropriate
- Scientific justification
- Description of the broader impacts, including student training
- Description of benefits to the community
- Project management plant (where appropriate)
- Detailed budget being requested from NSF (limit one page).
- Standard NSF style biosketch for PI (limit two pages, single spaced, 12 pt. font)
- Letters of intent are limited to six pages (including budget and biosketch, single spaced, 12 pt. font).
- Submit electronically as a MS Word or PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org