Advancing Digitization of Biodiversity Collections (ADBC) Program
The Research Office, Incentive Funds Program is requesting Letters of Intent for the National Science Foundation (NSF) – Advancing Digitization of Biodiversity Collections (ADBC) program.
Research Office Letter of Intent submission deadline:
Monday, August 12, 2013 by 5:00 PM
Synopsis of Program:
This program seeks to enhance and expand the national resource of digital data documenting existing vouchered biological and paleontological collections and to advance scientific knowledge by improving access to digitized information (including images) residing in vouchered scientific collections across the United States. The information associated with various collections of organisms, such as geographic, paleogeographic and stratigraphic distribution, environmental habitat data, phenology, information about associated organisms, collector field notes, and tissues and molecular data extracted from the specimens, is a rich resource providing the baseline from which to further biodiversity research and provide critical information about existing gaps in our knowledge of life on earth. The national resource is structured at three levels: a central coordinating organization, a series of thematic networks based on an important research theme, and the physical collections. The national resource builds upon a sizable existing national investment in curation of the physical objects in scientific collections and contributes vitally to scientific research and technology interests in the United States. It will become an invaluable tool in understanding contemporary biological issues and challenges.
Limit Summary: Only one ADBC - Thematic Collections Networks (TCN) proposal may be submitted by any one organization as the lead organization.
In an effort to provide the highest level of excellence and viability for funding, a review process will be put in place if more than one proposal is submitted. The finalist will be asked to represent Oregon State University and to submit their proposal to the NSF - ADBC program by the NSF deadline of October 18, 2013.
Information: Debbie Delmore at firstname.lastname@example.org or (541) 737-8390
Guidance for preparation of Letters of Intent to the Research Office:
- Title of Project
- NSF Program Title
- PI/Co-PI, Department and College
- Describe the intellectual merit of the proposed activity and what the broader impacts of the proposed activity are.
- Brief description of how the project will integrate newly digitized collections data with established standards and existing databases and the information gaps filled by the proposed project.
- Brief plan for assessment and evaluation.
- Brief plan to track use of the data produced by the project and integration of the project into the national resource.
- Detailed budget being requested from NSF (limit one page).
- Standard NSF style biosketch for PI (limit two pages, single spaced, 12 pt. font)
- Letters of intent are limited to six pages (including budget and biosketch, single spaced, 12 pt. font).
- Submit electronically as a MS Word or PDF document to: email@example.com