ADVANCE: Increasing the Participation and Advancement of Women in Academic Science and Engineering Careers (ADVANCE)
The Research Office, Incentive Funds Program is requesting Letters of Intent for the National Science Foundation – ADVANCE: Increasing the Participation and Advancement of Women in Academic Science and Engineering Careers program.
Research Office Letter of Intent submission deadline: Monday, August 29, 2011
Information: Debbie Delmore at email@example.com or 541-737-8390
Limit Summary: Organizations may submit only one Institutional Transformation (IT) proposal or one IT-Catalyst proposal.
In an effort to provide the highest level of excellence and viability for funding, a review process will be put in place if more than one proposal is submitted. The finalist will be asked to represent Oregon State University and to submit their proposal to the NSF-ADVANCE program.
The goal of the ADVANCE program is to develop systemic approaches to increase the representation and advancement of women in academic science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) careers, thereby contributing to the development of a more diverse science and engineering workforce. ADVANCE focuses on ensuring that women faculty with earned STEM degrees consider academia as a viable and attractive career option.
Institutional Transformation (IT) awards are expected to include innovative systemic organizational approaches to transform institutions of higher education in ways that will increase participation and advancement of women in STEM academic careers. These awards support comprehensive programs for institution-wide change.
IT-Catalyst awards are designed to support historically resource-challenged institutions in efforts to conduct institutional self-assessment activities, such as data collection and analysis and policy review, in order to identify specific issues in the recruitment, retention and promotion of women faculty in STEM academics within an institution of higher education.
NSF Full Proposal Deadline: October 3, 2011
Guidance for preparation of Letter of Intent to the Research Office:
- Title of Project
- Type of Project (Type 1A or Type 1B)
- Project Description
- Brief description on proposed activities
- Brief description of reasons that working toward an increase in number of student graduating in STEM areas is compatible with the institution’s mission
- Brief statement of the overall vision that underlies the institution’s management and implementation plan to increase the numbers of student graduating in STEM areas
- Brief description of specific strategies to be used during the grant period to increase the number of student graduating in STEM fields
- Type 1B – include a brief description of significantly new directions in which the project will be heading, the rational for choosing these new directions, and the relationship between the previous project and the proposed project
- Detailed Budget being requested from NSF – limit one (1) page
- Letters of intent are limited to five (5) pages (including budget page)
- Be submitted electronically as a MS Word or PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org