It’s a word we use regularly to describe the work that goes on at Oregon State University. Our impact is specific and measurable. It is wide-ranging as well as personal. And it is deeply ingrained into our culture. For more than 140 years, we have made a positive and significant difference across this state on what’s most important for Oregonians.
At Oregon State, we have an unwavering commitment to excellence: in our academic classrooms and laboratories where faculty teaching inspires students to expand their minds and develop the knowledge to achieve their goals; in cutting-edge research; and through Extension Service outreach and engagement in communities throughout Oregon.
And while we are proud and deeply committed to serve as Oregon’s land grant university, OSU’s impact reaches well beyond Oregon. Our contribution and impact extend across the U.S. and throughout the world and range from the microscopic innovation of nanoscience to the vast universe within our oceans.
Detailed within these pages are specific measurements — and many narrative examples — of Oregon State University’s impact.
Yet, measuring the recent and current impact of the university is not nearly enough.
Today, we reaffirm and expand our commitment to the future:
- To further engage OSU in vibrant, innovative and impactful industry research and partnerships to propel the economy, retain employment and create new businesses and jobs.
- To broaden the contributions of OSU’s Extension Service throughout the state by increasingly serving the specific needs of Oregon’s urban and rural communities.
- To expand teaching, research and promotion of public health initiatives that improve quality of life by expanding focus on preventative care, healthy lifestyle habits, exercise and improved nutrition.
- To invest in strategic leadership, engagement, programs and commitments that improve the economy and quality of life in the Portland area.
- To enhance the wise use and protection of natural resources to ensure their vital sustainability for generations to come.
I hope you enjoy this report of the impacts our faculty, students and alumni are making in the economy, in communities and in people’s lives.
Edward J. Ray
Oregon State University