Oregon State University

IACUC Guideline: Permits for Field Studies

A single research project may be subject to multiple laws requiring multiple permits.  It is most common that both state and federal permits are needed as well as site-specific permits for studies conducted on federal or state owned property.

According to the OLAW “Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Guidebook:  “The investigator must be able to assure the IACUC that all necessary federal and state permits have been or will be obtained before research begins.”

The IACUC may rely on the entity issuing the permit for their assessment rather than attempt to determine potential impact or risk on the population being studied.

It is the responsibility of the investigator to obtain all necessary permits prior to the start of research and to include the information in the field studies supplement of the ACUP.

Accepted by the IACUC: 02-19-08

Contact Info

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)

Fax 541-737-9041

Office of Research Integrity
Research Office
Oregon State University
B308 Kerr Administration
Corvallis, Oregon 97331-2140
Copyright ©  2014 Oregon State University