H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest
The mission of the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest is to support research on forests, streams, and watersheds, and to foster strong collaboration among ecosystem science, education, natural resource management, and the humanities. Located in the western Cascade mountains of Oregon, the Forest is administered cooperatively by the USDA Forest Service's Pacific Northwest Research Station, Oregon State University, and the Willamette National Forest. Through 1970's, the site was part of the International Biological Programme-Coniferous Forest Biome (IBP-CFB), and in 1976 it was designated a Biosphere Reserve as part of the United Nations' Man and the Biosphere Program. In 1948, the site was established as an Experimental Forest by the US Forest Service and in 1980 the site became a charter member of the National Science Foundation's Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) Program.