Faculty Guidance and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Guidance for Faculty
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a conflict of interest (COI)?
- What is a significant financial interest (SFI)?
- Do the SFI exclusions include foreign governments and institutions of higher education?
- Who is considered a “family member”?
- What is a conflict of commitment (COC)?
- What is a disclosure form (declaration)?
- What is an “outside activity”?
Frequently Asked Questions on COI Policy
- What does the COI Policy address?
- What policy addresses what outside activities faculty/staff can participate in?
- What policy addresses when faculty/staff can work with family members or members of their household?
- What policy addresses when faculty/staff can procure goods or services when a COI exists?
- Why does the University need a COI Policy?
- Why is disclosure necessary?
- Who will be able to see my disclosed financial interests?
- If I disclose a financial interest, will it delay submission of my proposal?
- If it is determined that I have a COI, will it affect the acceptance of an award?
Frequently Asked Questions on COI Disclosure
- I don’t have a COI, why do I have to complete a disclosure form?
- Where do I find the disclosure form?
- Who has to disclose?
- How often do I have to disclose my financial interests?
- Why do I have to complete another form if I completed one last year?
- How long will it take to complete the form?
- What types of activities/interests do I have to disclose?
- Who is going to see my disclosure form?
- What happens after I submit my disclosure form?
- Who determines if a conflict of interest exists?
- What happens if I have a research COI?
- What is a Conflict of Interest Management Plan?
Frequently Asked Questions on the COI Online System
- I keep receiving automated email messages; how do I make them stop?
- What is the website/web address/URL for the online system?
- How do I...
- Why is the information in my profile incorrect?
- Where do I get assistance with my ONID username and password?