Changes to Courses and Academic Programs:
Implementation Term Policy
Curriculum changes approved by the University Curriculum Council and Academic Programs will be implemented by term according to the following guidelines:
- Changes to existing course data will not be made once registration has begun. However, new schedule types may be added.
- New courses approved by Academic Programs after registration has begun will not be offered until the next term.
Academic Program Changes:
- Course requirements changes to existing programs may be made in a term that is already in progress because such changes do not affect students' ability to register for courses.
- Renamed programs will be added to the Banner curriculum tables, catalog, and MyDegrees in the proposer's requested term unless that term has already passed before curriculum council approval.
- New programs (majors, minors, options, certificates, endorsements) will be added to the Banner curriculum tables, catalog, and MyDegrees in summer term—the start of the new academic year—even if summer term has started or has passed.
Scheduling Changes After Registration has Begun: See Protocols
Curriculum Proposal System (CPS)
The Curriculum Proposal System is provided by the Office of Academic Programs, Assessment and Accreditation for the submission and tracking of curriculum proposals.
Category I proposals are for major curricular changes that require state-level approval.
Category II proposals are for other changes to courses, options, certificates, minors, majors, subject codes, extension of programs to other campuses.
Academic Credit Definition
The Office of Academic Programs, Assessment and Accreditation provides information and guidance regarding the assignment of credits to a course. View Credits–Definition and Guidelines for more information.
OrACRAO Curriculum Change Reports
Curriculum changes in the standardized format used by OrACRAO members may be generated from the OSU curriculum proposal system at https://secure.oregonstate.edu/ap/cps/reports. Note: When generating reports, please use Firefox, Internet Explorer 6 or 7, or Safari 3.1.
Later in 2015, OSU will implement a new curriculum proposal system.
OrACRAO Curriculum Tracking
Curriculum Changes at Oregon State University
The OSU University Curriculum Council approves curriculum changes throughout the year as proposals are submitted, not on a set schedule by term.
To generate your own reports of OSU curriculum changes, follow these directions:
- Open the OSU Curriculum Proposal System (CPS). The CPS includes both category I and II proposals.
- Click on Reports in the left column.
- Click on the Curricular Changes Report link.
- Select the Term you're interested in or leave ALL to get all terms.
- Click Search and read the report or click Excel download to put the report on your machine.
- Select the Academic Year of interest.
Category I proposals
Category I proposals are new academic degrees or academic units, or changes to academic degrees or academic units. For further details, see the Office of Academic Programs, Assessment and Accreditation.
Category I proposals started after January 2010 may be found in the curriculum proposal system (CPS) administered by Academic Planning and Assessment (no password or logon required).
Category I proposals prior to 1/2011 were reviewed and processed on paper, and recorded, tracked, and stored in an online database. No password or logon is needed to look at this database. The database is best viewed in Internet Explorer. You may experience problems using other web browsers.
Category II Curriculum Proposals
Category II proposals are for new courses, options and minors, changes to courses, options, minors, or terminations of courses, options, and minors. They are reviewed, processed, and stored in the curriculum proposal system (CPS) administered by Academic Planning and Assessment (no password or logon required).
To search through the proposals, click on the View All Proposals link.
Prerequisites are established by Category II approval.
Information on prerequisite enforcement.
- No prerequisites or corequisites may be deleted from or added to a course or section without an approved category II proposal. Prerequisites for a section must be in place before registration for the term begins.
- If registration is not in progress, existing prereqs or coreqs may be switched from unenforced to enforced, or vice versa, without a category II proposal. Prereqs may not be switched or changed once registration has begun. Email your request to switch prereq enforcement status to the catalog coordinator.
- All sections of a course must use the same prerequisites and/or corequisites that have been approved for that course.
- Departments may add prereqs or coreqs to the X99 or blanket course section Comments field of the online Schedule of Classes prior to registration. These may be enforced by the instructor; they are not enforced by Banner Registration.
- Graduate-level courses that have undergraduate prereqs are not enforced by Banner. These prereqs may be deleted without a category II. Email your request to the catalog coordinator.