Grades, Honor Roll, & Academic Standing
Instructors may consider attendance in the calculation of students’ grades. Refer to Academic Regulation 14 for more details.
Academic Regulations 17–19 describe the OSU grading system—available grades and associated point values, and the alternative grading system.
As stated in Academic Regulation 21, each term an honor roll list is published with the names of students who completed at least 12 graded credits with a GPA of 3.5 GPA or higher.
Students are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress standards set out in Academic Regulation 22. There are four possible academic standing statuses.
- Good Standing – Students with a term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Academic Warning – Students with a term GPA below 2.0.
- Academic Probation – Students who have attempted1 24 or more credits at OSU and have an OSU cumulative GPA below 2.0 will be placed on Academic Probation. Students who attain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher are removed from Academic Probation.
1 An attempt comprises a final grade in a course where the grade is: A, A–, B+, B, B–, C+, C, C–, D+, D, D–, F, S, U, P, NP, I/Alternate Grade (where the Alternate Grade is one of these grades), W, or Y.
- Academic Suspension – Students on Academic Probation who have a subsequent term GPA below 2.0.
- Suspended students are denied all privileges of the university including living in any university-recognized living groups.
- Suspended students will be reinstated after 2 years OR after completing 24 transferable quarter credits with a GPA of 2.50 or higher for these credits.
- The Academic Standing Committee addresses requests for exception to Academic Regulation 22.
- Reinstatement to the University: Suspended students will be considered for reinstatement to the university after two years or completion of a minimum of 24 quarter credits of transferable college-level work at an accredited college or university, with a GPA of 2.5 or above.
- The Faculty Senate Committee on Academic Standing is charged with the responsibility for enforcement of the above regulations on Satisfactory Academic Standing. Additionally, this committee has discretionary authority to grant exceptions and to develop guidelines for the administration of these regulations.
- Academic Fresh Start Policy
Students may petition once with the Registrar to exclude OSU courses from the calculation of institutional requirements, credits, and grade-point average, under the conditions defined in Academic Regulation 31 (Academic Fresh Start Policy).