Clearing Spring Degree Candidates for Commencement 2016
TO: OSU Faculty and Staff
FROM: Sabah Randhawa, Provost and Executive Vice President
RE: Preliminary Grades for Degree Candidates
As you know, graduating seniors are required to take final examinations during the regularly scheduled Final Examination Week of Spring Term. However, because actual diplomas will be distributed to eligible graduation applicants at Commencement on Saturday, June 11, 2016, Oregon State University must adhere to the following procedures for clearing Spring Term degree candidates. The key features are outlined below.
Specific documentation about how to submit preliminary grades will be sent to faculty when grading opens on Monday, May 2nd. If you have questions regarding the preliminary grades policy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the Office of the Registrar.
Procedures for Clearing Spring Degree Candidates for Commencement 2016
- Monday, May 2, 2016—"Preliminary" web grade rosters will be available to instructors.
- Monday, May 9, 2016—Preliminary grades are due by noon. Grades should reflect the anticipated final grade. Please remember that a preliminary grade of "I" will likely prevent releasing a student’s diploma at Commencement.
- Wednesday, May 11, 2016—Office of the Registrar staff will provide the Dean of the Graduate School with preliminary grades for each candidate for Master’s and Doctoral degrees. The Office of the Registrar will also begin the preliminary Bachelor’s degree review process.
- Monday, May 23, 2016—Notification begins to applicants who are definitively ineligible or potentially ineligible on the basis of: institutional graduation requirements, college/school requirements and departmental graduation requirements (according to advice from Head Advisors).
- Finals Week—Faculty should notify the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible after each final examination if a degree candidate will receive a final grade of D, F, N, or I/GRADE. Unless notified by faculty, the decision for diploma distribution will be based on the preliminary grades submitted.
- Saturday, June 11, 2016—Baccalaureate degree candidates with degree deficiencies may participate in Commencement, but will receive a diploma case with a letter notifying them that final requirements are necessary to confirm graduation.