Room Assignment Policies
- Classrooms will be assigned based on class size (with priority given to larger classes), room features, and proximity to department offices.
- Classes offered for credit take precedence over all non-class-related or non-credit events.
Departmentally Controlled Classrooms
Departments that control classrooms or seminar rooms are expected to adhere to the time zones and to fully use those rooms before requesting a General Purpose Classroom.
Accommodations for Disabled Students
When an assigned classroom is determined to be inadequate for a disabled student or instructor, Disability Access Services will ask Scheduling to reassign the class to a suitable classroom.
Changes in Classroom Assignments
- Any requests to change a classroom assignment must be made through the department’s scheduling coordinator. The coordinator will submit the request to Scheduling via the web form or email. Instructors may not move their class from an assigned room without prior approval from Scheduling.
- In case of an emergency evacuation of a classroom or building, the department should ask Scheduling to relocate classes.
Room Size and Configuration
- Seating capacity is specified in accordance with state and city safety regulations. If it appears that student demand will surpass the scheduled room, departments should contact Scheduling for alternate space. Overcrowding violates safety codes. It is unacceptable for students not to have appropriate seating.
- Furniture and equipment such as overheads, chairs, and tables must not be removed from any classroom. If a room does not contain adequate facilities to meet the scheduled maximum enrollment or equipment needs, the instructor should contact the department scheduling coordinator for assistance. The coordinator will work with Scheduling to resolve the problem.
- Departments should assess anticipated enrollment, and base any adjustments on actual course enrollment during the previous corresponding term; enrollment increases should not exceed 15 percent of the previous corresponding term. Departments projecting an increase greater than 15 percent must provide written justification to the Associate Registrar.
Appropriate Use of Facilities
- Food service is not permitted in academic classrooms.
- Some events may be denied use of classroom space if the event is inappropriate for the purpose of the classroom.
- The possession, consumption, or furnishing of alcoholic beverages or controlled substances is prohibited in all classrooms.
- Media Services, 541-737-2121, maintains and repairs all audio/video technology in a classroom. For immediate assistance, pickup up the help phone in the classroom for direct connection to the Media Services classroom help desk.
- Facilities Services Work Coordination Center, 541-737-2969, handles classroom cleanliness, damage, lighting, seating, requests for lecterns, podiums or additional tables or chalk.