Tips for Job Applicants
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Recreational Sports! The following information is provided to assist candidates in the application and interview process. We look forward to your application!
- Please fill out the employment application as thoroughly and specifically as possible.
- If you wish to apply for more than one position, please indicate that on your application. Applications will be screened for the skill(s) required for the positions(s) for which you have applied. Previous work experience will be evaluated.
- A completed application includes the following items:
- Resume and three references
- Cover letter stating interest in working for the Department of Recreational Sports
- Completed application
- Copies of all relevant certifications (CPR/PR w/AED, First Aid, Lifeguard training, etc.) depending on the job.
- Candidates selected for interviews will be notified by telephone.
- For Operations positions we frequently conduct group interviews, at which time you may be placed with other candidates for a 90-minute interview by a panel of three to five staff members.
- We will inform selected candidates of their status as soon as possible following the conclusion of the interview process.
- It may be necessary to arrange a second interview for some positions.
- Dress for success — It is expected that candidates will be professionally dressed for an interview.
- Be punctual — First impressions are critical and timeliness is an important factor in making a positive impact.
- Be professional — Professionalism is a standard we look for in potential employees and we ask that you conduct yourself accordingly.
- Do your homework — Spend some time finding out about the Department of Recreational Sports, what its mission is on campus and how it fits into the University vision.
- Be prepared — Why do you want to work for Recreational Sports? What qualities or experience can you bring to contribute to the department?
We hope that that the selection process will be a positive educational experience for you. These tips are provided to get you started on the right track. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance. Good Luck!