Courses for 2013
Act It Out
- Instructor: Jenn Verdries
Drama isn’t just plays, it’s so much more! Join us for creative expression in drama. A human clay activity will help us loosen up and feel comfortable together before we practice tableaus,improvisations, and skits. At the end of our class, you will have the opportunity to show off your acting talents to your friends and family in an artistic performance that you design.
- Aeromodeling - Course is filled
- Instructor: Mark Allison; additional $35 fee for airplane supplies
Discover how full size airplanes and model airplanes fly. Build a rubber-powered plane for outdoor flights and flying in large indoor spaces. Learn how to adjust the model for its longest flight times and how to use thermal updrafts to fly higher. Become skilled at using modeling tools so you will be able to build more complex planes later and will know how to adjust them. Basic skills of coordination, the ability to listen and to follow instructions are required for maximum benefit from this class.
- Art Magic - course is filled
- Instructor: Leetra Taylor and Chris Ladovsky; additional $5 fee for supplies
Turn doodles and scribbles into exciting art pieces, shrink plastic into works of art, experiment with new paper sculpture techniques and create masterpieces from recyclables in this magical multi-media art class.
- Beginning French - Course is filled
- Instructor: Jenn Verdries; additional $5 fee for French food
Parlez vous Francais? Are you interested in learning French? Do you delight in sinking your teeth into delicious pastries? Have you ever wondered what francophone countries are? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this class is for you! Experience French language, music, food and culture in this exciting hour of learning. This class will include basic language skills like greetings, counting and ordering food in a restaurant. Join us for a holistic look at the French language and the people of the world who speak it.
- Creature Creation
- Instructor: Leetra Taylor, additional $5 fee for supplies
Use your imagination to create great soft sculpture characters. You will amaze yourself by designing fantastic outer space or steampunk creatures -- a perfect way to express your creativity.
- Design Your Dream House - Course is filled
- Instructor: Melinda Winograd
Have you ever stood in the middle of your room and dreamed of changing it somehow? Maybe you have even begun to think of the kind of house you would like to live in someday. Use your math and art skills to draw to scale and figure area to design your dream home of the future. Turn your ideas into a blueprint and create an interior design and landscaping for it. A professional architect, interior designer and landscape designer will lend their expertise to help you plan your design.
- Discover Mexico
- Instructor: Jeanette Brudvig; additional $5 for supplies
Explore the culture of Mexico through song and dance. Have fun doing Mexican arts and crafts and sampling tasty treats. Play traditional games and learn a little Spanish along the way. Join in as we discover and learn about our neighbors south of the border.
- Drawing and Design
- Instructor: Mark Allison
Using simply pencils and paper, learn to draw and design. Learn the principles and elements of design by doing abstract geometric designs, realistic drawing, perspective, scaled drawings, and shaded drawings. At the completion of the class you will have increased your drawing ability and learned tools or methods that will continue to improve your drawings.
- Engineer It - Course is filled
- Instructor: Jennifer Carpenter; additional $5 fee for supplies
Experience engineering in a fun and hands-on way by creating, designing, and building. Participate in a different project each class day. Construct and test houses with earthquake shake tables, and design and build your own bridge. Be prepared for interesting and fun-filled challenges.
- Fashion Designer - Course is filled
- Instructor: Chris Ladovsky; additional $5 fee for supplies
Discover what it takes to become a fashion designer as you design several lines of clothing including active, formal, and resort wear. Develop a design portfolio and come up with your own creation on a mini dress form.
- Francais du Monde (French of the World) - Cancelled
- Instructor: Jennifer Verdries; additional $5 fee for supplies
What do Canada, Haiti, Switzerland, Saint-Lucia and Morocco have in common? They all speak French! Join us on a trip around the world to learn about the various countries that speak French. Francophone countries all over the globe are just waiting to surprise and delight you with their taste, music, crafts and rituals. A cultural bouquet will entice your senses in this hands-on class as we journey together. Caribbean beats, Moroccan market food and Swiss slopes will all be present as well as some basics in French language. So all aboard the Francophone Express! C'est tres chic, n'est ce pas?
- Instructor: Robert O'Malley
Learn to play the game that is as old as Ancient China. With plenty of fun challenges and puzzles, you will be playing within 15 minutes of the first class. Starting with an empty board, and black and white stones, you enter the world of Go. The rules are simple, but the twists and turns of the game will delight you. No two games are alike, and the more you understand, the better you play. Learn the basic techniques, then try them on the board and see what works for you. With hours of fun, the more meaning you put into your moves, the better you will learn to "talk with stones". Come enjoy this introduction to the game of Go.
- Hands-on Algebra - Course is filled
- Instructor: Jennifer England
Are you intrigued with the mystery of algebra? Would you like to solve equations like 2x+x+x+2 = 2x+10 and 2(x+4) + x = x+16? Using a balance and game pieces to set up and solve problems, you can break the code of algebra. Feel the pride that comes with mathematical success as you use game pieces to solve problems and represent equations.
- Investigations in Chemistry - Course is filled
- Instructors: Richard and Amy Nafshun; additional $5 fee for supplies
Make slime, superballs, colorful crystals, and paints. Investigate batteries, soil, Kool-Aid, and colors. By the end of the course, students will have a better understanding of chemistry in everyday life. No prior chemistry or laboratory experience is necessary.
- Journey into Gameland – Design Your Own Board Game - Course is filled
- Instructor: Jennifer England; additional $10 fee for supplies
Use your creativity to design a board game based on the characters and events of a favorite book. A game needs rules and playing pieces, obstacles, chance or go ahead cards, and ways to measure progress or defeat. Each step of the journey will be outlined so you can successfully complete your board game and be ready to play it with family and friends. All you need is your imagination and a favorite book!
- LEGO Construction Challenge - Course is filled
- Instructor: Nathan Worden; additional $5 fee for supplies
Explore structure through the interlocking LEGO brick. Work with LEGOS to discover architecture, organization, pattern and arrangement. Create your own unique structures and follow directions for LEGO sets. Other building materials such as toothpicks, straws and marshmallows will be explored to gain perspective on what constitutes an architecturally strong structure.
- Marimba Madness
- Instructor: Jeanette Brudvig
Come play in a real Marimba Band! Have fun playing a student-sized marimba while learning the music and rhythms from around the world. A performance on the final day will wow your parents and friends.
- Marvelous Machines - Course is filled
- Instructor: Judy Craig; additional $15 fee for supplies
It can wobble, shake, and draw! Use your own designs to create unique machines. Turn a yogurt cup, a battery and other recycled items into electrified machines.
- Math Games
- Instructor: Melinda Winograd
If you enjoy using your brain as you play games, you will have a great time with Math games. The first week learn to play several games that let you use logical thinking, computational skills, and geometry, and the second week will be a tournament.
- Mysteries of Ancient Egypt
- Instructor: Justine Hynes; $5 additional fee for supplies
- Go back to the time of the ancient Egyptians, and Examine how they lived, their food and dress, and discover the meaning behind the mysterious pyramids. Create mummies and use hieroglyphs during this exciting adventure to ancient Egypt.
- Take A Trip To Japan
- Instructor: Melinda Winograd; additional $5 fee for supplies
- Come with us to the exotic Land of the Rising Sun. Your travel itinerary includes hands-on experiences with the culture of the Japanese people. Enjoy interesting new foods, learn to speak a little Japanese and take home Japanese arts and crafts that you have made as you gain an appreciation for our neighbors across the Pacific.