Be a PeaceJam Mentor!Posted March 11th, 2011 by staff
Be a mentor for PeaceJam 2011 with Nobel Peace Prize Winner Rigoberta Menchu Tum!
April 15-17, 2011.
PeaceJam is a powerful weekend for over 200 high school youth from around the Pacific Northwest. Our PeaceJam mentors are a crucial role in making this weekend such a success. Many mentors have been equally as inspired and moved by the PeaceJam conference and the youth as the youth themselves. Every year, we are blown away by how powerful but also how much fun the weekend is. We’d love for you to join us!
Role of mentors:
- Lead & facilitate small discussion groups with high school students throughout the weekend (family groups).
- Participate in workshops and service projects with youth.
- Be leaders! Share your experience. Get to know high school students.
- Assist in overall logistics of the weekend when needed.
Benefit to being a mentor:
- Meet a Nobel Peace Prize Winner!
- Meet and help to inspire youth from around the area.
- Meet other OSU students.
- Become a better leader & facilitator.
- Fun! Year after year, mentors have responded that the conference is a fun, worthwhile weekend.
- Be inspired yourself.
The commitment for mentors will be:
- Mentor training prior to PeaceJam, 3 hours long, anticipated that we will have 2 different times that mentors can choose from
- Returning mentors will be required to attend at minimum 90 minutes of one of the sessions
- New mentors will be required to attend an entire training (If someone cannot attend training, they cannot be a mentor)
- Friday, April 15, noon – 5:00 pm, training
- Saturday, April 16, 7:00 am – 9:00 pm (approximately)
- Sunday, April 17, 7:30 am – 4:00 pm (approximately)
(Must be able to commit to all times).
Email or drop applications by our office (123 Snell Hall) or to Janet Nishihara in 337 Waldo by March 15, 2011.
Receive Credit: If you would like to sign up for credit, you can sign up for 1 credit for completing all responsibilities of a PJ Mentor, with an optional 2nd credit if you plan to write the paper. The CRN for the credit is: 54518.
Check out http://oregonstate.edu/peacejam for more information!!