Reminder: Application deadlines for Scholarships have passed for 2014. Scholarship recipients were notified in early May, 2014. Thank you for your interest in the 2013-2014 scholarship program.
The information provided below is relevant only the the 2013-2014 Scholarships year. New applications, deadlines and requirements are created each year. Applications are usually available in early February of each year and due in March. Check back with us early in 2015.
The OSU Folk Club Thrift Shop Foundation, a 501(c) (3) organization, offers scholarships to Benton County high school graduates and older-than-average women who will attend Oregon State University in the fall. In 2012, scholarships totaling $55,200 were awarded to 12 entering OSU freshman and 11 OSU older-than-average women students.
How to Apply
The application forms are usually available after February 1 at the Thrift Shop at 144 NW 2nd St, most academic advising and financial aid offices at OSU and the counselors' offices at Benton County high schools as well as online.
New in 2014! Different deadlines are in effect for the two types of scholarships! Deadlines are March 17, 2014 for high school scholarships and March 31, 2014 for Older-than-Average scholarships.
Please print out and complete the forms that are found via the appropriate links on this page and return with your application or stop by the Thrift Shop for a printed copy. You may also use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the home page and we will email you the form and guidelines as attachments. Thank you.
Criteria of eligiblility and number of scholarships offered may vary each year. In general, these are the criteria:
Who Can Apply
The High School Scholarships are awarded to seniors who are graduating from Benton County high schools and/or live in Benton County and who will attend OSU full-time in the coming Fall term. These scholarships are made possible by the work of the OSU Folk Club Thrift Shop in Corvallis. The principal criterion for this award is academic merit. An application form is required in a complete packet. The form lists the information that must be submitted including:
- Resume, following the format given.
- One-page, typed essay, in which you reflect on your attitudes, values, and experiences as you share something that has been particularly meaningful in your life.
- Two references, from a teacher, employer, counselor, or community member of our choice. Each reference should include the provided Scholarship Reference form and no more than one extra page.
- Copy of your most recent high school transcript. This must include your Fall Semester grades.
The Older-Than-Average Scholarships are made possible by the work of the OSU Folk Club Thrift Shop in Corvallis. These scholarships are awarded to women who are U.S. citizens and residents of Benton County, and are age thirty (30) or older by the application deadline date, and who will be attending OSU in the fall as full-time students each term while pursuing bachelor's, master's, or professional degrees (Ph.D. and EdD. candidates are not eligible), and carrying at least 12 credits (undergraduates) or 9 credits (graduate programs) each term. Principal criteria are financial need and merit. Preference will be given to women who have had a break in their post secondary studies and are returning after an absence. Students are only eligible to receive this scholarship twice. An application form is required in a complete packet. The form lists the information that must be submitted including:
- Resume, following the format given.
- Financial statement, following the format given. Please read the form carefully.
- One-page essay in which you reflect on your attitudes, values, and experiences as you pursue your educational goals in the context of being an older-than-average student.
- Two references, from a teacher, employer, counselor, or community member. Each reference should use the provided form and be no more than one extra page.
- Student copy of your OSU/college transcript(s).
- If you are entering OSU for the first time in the coming Fall, attach an official Letter of Admission.