Submitted by diazmeng on Wed, 04/17/2013 - 4:27pm
The following is a list of past events on which the OPA has hosted, organized or participated. Also included are events which OPA will host, organize or participate.
- Peers & Beers - Get together with other OSU Postdocs! Our biweekly Peers and Beers! meetings are an opportunity to meet other OSU postdocs and learn about the OPA. We meet on the first Friday and third Thursday of each month @ 5pm at Bombs Away Cafe (2527 NW Monroe, Corvallis). Just look for the "Peers and Beers" sign at the table and come share a casual chat with us!
- Peers & Coffee - Come join us in an afternoon version of Peers & Beers! Scheduled on the second Tuesday of each month @ 1pm (on-campus location announced each month) to promote socialization among those of us who can't make it after 5pm.
- IDEAS TO INNOVATION. Wednesday, December 4, 12:00-2:00, Richardson 115. Dr. Mary Foley Phillips of the OSU Research Office (and soon to be the new Director of Research Development at OSU) will lead this session. As a community, postdocs are among the most creative groups on campus, but most of you have little knowledge or experience about how to utilize your ideas outside of academic research. Mary will talk about transforming ideas into innovations that might be a basis for a business or patent or other commercial endeavor. (This is also one of the first efforts of the Industry-Experience subcommittee of the OPA to help OSU’s postdocs learn more about opportunities for PhDs outside of academia). Pizza provided for those who register in advance. When you register you’ll be asked to share any questions or interests you have in how to transform your ideas into innovations – this will help Dr. Phillips tailor her presentation to your interests.
Use this link to register:https://docs.google.com/a/onid.oregonstate.edu/forms/d/1jjO4PgvAIgrCRO4eJyb6V6PaS6HfZRsHSkYE921htww/viewform
- CREATING YOUR OWN TEACHING PHILOSOPHY. Wednesday, November 13, 12:00-2:00, Milam 215. Back by popular demand, this hands-on workshop will be offered for the second time by Dr. Robin Pappas. If you are applying for academic appointments involving teaching, you know that you are often asked to provide a statement of your teaching philosophy. This workshop will help you create a statement that is uniquely yours and stands out among the myriad others.
- TAX SEMINAR FOR POSTDOCS AND GRAD STUDENTS. Tuesday, October 29, 12:00-2:00, Richardson Hall room 115. Postdocs and Graduate Students often face complex and confusing tax challenges, especially those who are international or in trainee employment categories. Robert White from HR Block has generously offered to meet with Postdocs and Grad Students to help address some of these issues. The workshop is free and lunch will be provided, but you must register in advance. The presenter would appreciate it if you'd share two tax questions in advance so that he can be prepared to answer them.
Use this link to register and share your questions:
- Panel discussion: “A student-based guide to obtaining research funding.” This event is co-sponsored by the OSU Postdoctoral Association and the Graduate School and will include a discussion of steps students can take to maximize their success in obtaining funding for their research. This event is for graduate students and advanced undergraduates and will be held from 10-11am on 9 October in room 206 of the Memorial Union. More details about the panel and a registration link can be found at http://gradschool.oregonstate.edu/event/367; enrollment will be limited to the first 50 students who register.
- OPA Fall Picnic - Join OSU postdocs, their partners, families and supervisors to celebrate the start of the new academic year and meet new members of the postdoctoral community. When? Saturday Sept 21st (1 thru 5 pm); where? Avery Park Lions Shelter; what to bring? Side dish or desert to share (not mandatory); OPA will provide an assortment of beverages and grillables, vegetarian and carnivorous.
RSVP for the Fall Picnic here (http://oregonstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6X4URamcSxBQdRb)
Please forward this invitation to interested faculty members, like your supervisor!
- Da Vinci Days booth - in the Discover OSU section July 20 and 21.
- OPA Spring Social & Picnic - Join the OPA celebrate the successful conclusion of its first year of activities (and overall existence!!), introduce the new OPA Board, and simply enjoy company, food and sunshine (hopefully!). Invite your supervisor, bring the family... let's have fun!! When? June 8th (1 thru 5 pm); where? Avery Park Lions Shelter; what to bring? Side dish or desert to share (not mandatory); OPA will provide an assortment of beverages and grillables, vegetarian and carnivorous. (OPA thanks Ninkasi for their generous donation providing beer for this event)
OPA Spring Social 2013
- National Postdoc Appreciation Week - During the week of Septeber 17-21, OPP & OPA jointly organized a series of social/academic events for all OSU postdocs as part of the National Postdoc Appreciation Week. To read an article published by the Corvallis Gazette-Times on September 20th please click here.
- Da Vinci Days -